Sign in to follow this  
Bally

valver wont idel!!

as above.. well anoying.. driving in traffic, car kept cutting out.. its aint the idel valve I dont think as Im getting oil light flicker.. I cleaned up the wire y'day as I was going to replace the low pressure switch, but think I got suplied the wrong colour so just reconncected it..

drove it to Bills & back which is abt 12mile round trip & it sort of died pulling up on driveway...

this morning it was worse..

any ideas?

My Golf was a bit like this, set the timing and the mixture yesterday and now its all good...

Might be worth a go..

Had something similar happen with one of my old valvers. Turned out to be one of the pipes coming loose at the back of the airbox!

The car would just about run, but it was a struggle to keep the engine going at all. Just pushed the pipe back on and it was perfect. Doesn't explain the oil warning light though. :?

my 16V would splutter and stutter and find it hard to idle.....upto the point I disconnected the Cold Start Valve (just unplugged the connector)

After that it never had any problems - give it a try, you never know!

HTH

H

i had a very similar problem for about a year....torture.

mine turned out to be the wires were broken inside the plastic covers at the plug for the throttle potentiometer(throttle position switch) once fixed all was well.

since fixing that i have had the odd dodgy idle but its just the small pipes that attatch to the underside of the rubber pipe that joins the throttle body working their way off.....once back on steady idle

it took me a year of cleaning the isv, checking and re checking all the pipes from airbox to the throttle body, buying a new mass air flow meter, throttle potentiometer, distributor,leads,coil...etc

good luck

thanks guys... Ive just been home for lunch.. disconnected the isv, sprayed some WD40 on connection etc.. reconnected. checked for broken wires.. seems ok.. just turned the idel screw up on the throttle.. seems to hold revs now.. but oil light flickering on idel..

got 2 swtichs on saturday.. thing is i got suplied one black & one blue switch, wondering which one to fit as the one on the car is whiteish???

WTF! :lol:

The sensor will have a pressure rating written on it, itll be visible when you remove it from the housing...

Just match it to that..

The sensor will have a pressure rating written on it, itll be visible when you remove it from the housing...

Just match it to that..

thanks fella.. will have a look.. just hope I got the right one...

need to remove the sender unit on the oil cooler to get to the bloody thing... Im sick of working on this valver engine now.. need shot of it :lol:

Agreed, its definitely outstayed its welcome under your bonnet, get an alternative sorted...

I no mate.. engine swap is my next on the 'To do list' :lol: