Sign in to follow this  
beavis

Pitstop Goes Full time

the key to efficient intercooler design is minimising the turbulence when the gas flow is diverging in the intake end-tank. A design that diverges too quickly (can't remember the ratio off the top of my head) will casue eddy currents to be generated at the surface causing the turbulence you mentionned and areas of static low-pressure. The best solution is to have nice progressive entry but this is difficult when space is at a premium as Daz said. The converging tank is slightly less sesnsitive to this behaviour and you can get away with a more severe ramping down to the outlet tube diameter. A straight tube into/out of the cooler is one of the worst possible for pressure loss.

Additionally, if that car is a G60 I would say the intercooler is a little oversized - look at the size of an RS500 IC - and it's very highly rated. The shape of the end tanks are also not helping to utilise the full height of the core - you need a bit of a slope to speed up flow velocity to the top of the tank - at the moment you're not using the core to full effect. As for the size, do some rule of thumb calcs to size it - easy to get hold of them, just make some reasonable assumptions for max MAF through the engine system, etc etc.

Not having a go at all, just constructive criticism, and glad to see somone in th UK's getting off their arris and coming up with this stuff.

anyway, a little OT there but good luck guys!

tt

Yep, constructive criticism is welcome feedback.

As mentioned constrictive space is a issue. It is possible to located the inlet/outlet in alternative places, but the you need a laberith of pipe work with sharp rads to get things plumbed in, again causing turbulence. We have also allowed space to be left in other areas for the addition of a oil cooler in a efficent position.

The cooler has a large overall surface area but is not particually deep allowing air to flow freely over both intercooler core and then though into the radiator. It kinda defeats the object of having a efficent intercooler if the efficentcy of the radiator is reduced. You cannot see from that picture but the front faces of the tanks are ramped and convex as so the air is flowed though the core evenly. The coolers will indeed be mainly for G60 applicationsm but we are gearing them towards the x-flow engine and also the possible use of different variations of charger besides the G-lader. The core is no bigger than that of a G60 Rallye so we should see no adverse effects and is also a lot more efficent than the OE excuse of a intercooler for a corrado G60.

Early days yet. Production designs will have at least a addition of a conical outlet etc.

At the end of the day we prefer to have criticisum of a component we are doing rather than a component we are not.

glad to hear it Beavis :D i know you're struggling for space there :cry:

keep going with it, and i hope to see you boys when i eventually get my ar5e over to see Darren

tt

not sure its off a sprinter Gavin. think its off a range rover of some type. its got alloy end tanks thats why i bought it and oh yes more importantly it was CHEAP :D

ITs the pipe shapes that makes it blow off cos of the restricted space. it doesn't leave the u-bend its the next spot down where the intercooler is. i have to use a reducer so it builds up and woooosh its off. Im using a scoobie inlet 90 degree down there now and its holding so....

time for a charger rebuild i think.

I thought you'd said it were a Sprinter one. Apologies if I mislead anyone there. Clearly as you live near to Yorkshire, cheap is the most important characteristic of the IC. Flow, ease of fitment would defo be taking a low place on the list of priorities!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you going to rebuild it DIY?? Should I clear a space on my garage floor?

Polo Classic, have you seen what people over here would take off you for a G60 intercooler. Not much use if you are two limbs short. You could get a custom made one for less money.

Gavin

i thought it was VW or merc based until i popped my head inside a range rover DSI thingy and thought? maybe they all use the same shit

clear a big space mate. im no yorkie. im on the right side of the hill and can speak properly(just)

measured it by the rack of the eye and the thickness of the wallet at the time. its amazing what you can do with a piece of cardboard on a desk thinkin' yeah itll fit

could probly do 2 full conversions for the price of 1 G60 IC.

Just about to log off my Royal Mail machine for the very last time ever.. Feels good.. Off to rebuild a charger with the prospect of never returning to this office again :) :) :) :) :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats, I guess i'll be making the trip south of the M25 on my wknds too now :lol:

As if travelling from newcastle to london wasnt enough :lol:

Plenty to keep me occupied... Yes Bilal, there is land south of the M25 permiter, I know many londoners think that they will fall off the end of the world if they come off the M23 junction. :lol: :lol: :lol: