Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

Second hand axle

Hey guys, I think this is the right place since I'm only looking for advice.

I found a second hand rear axle from a breaker and they give 90day warranty with it. Do you think I should be ok with or should I stump up and pay the full price via dealer?

The reason I ask is cos via breakers it will cost me £75 plus £25 delivery, but £450ish via dealer....

Any advice appreciated (I'm itching to get this sorted since I have some money and have been meaning to do it for ages now)

EDIT: Sorry should add, the breakers number, I got from Vince at Stealth if that would persuade you any further towards the breakers?

Well the axle itself is just a lump of pretty solid metal, there's not really a whole lot that goes wrong with them. So as long as it's in reasonable condition, I'd go for the 2nd hand option, but use some of the cash you've saved getting it stripped and re-painted, and get decent bushes etc. fitted to it!

Whats wrong with your old axle though? Why not just get that rebuilt and cleaned up?

Aye, what Dec says. Unless you physically hit the axle in a crash, it's unlikely to get bent, so should be good. Might be worth seeing the car it came off tho, just to confirm there's nothing wrong with it.

Either way, chances are that it'll be fine. Problem is, you won't know for sure until you've had it stripped, painted, new bushes fitted, on the car and then on the alignment rig...

Well to explain why I need a new one, I did have a "bump" to the rear axle and I know its bent, you can visibly see it from the wheels, although some people can't tell, if you look carefully you can tell.

So I defo need a new axle. I'll fone up the place and ask about more details and get Vince's advice about it too I suppose.

Reckon I should powdercoat it?

Reckon I should powedercoat it?

Definitely, while its off the car do everything you can to it, powdercoat and rebush...

If you've got an axle off the car, you might as well get it shot blasted and powder coated at the same time. Doubt it'd cost much more than £80 (might be wrong tho! :lol: )