Sign in to follow this  
doracor

Angel Eyes - convert LHD to RHD - help needed

Hi

I just got some Angel Eyes from Germany. They are set for LHD obviously. I need to swithc them to RHD.

In this post viewtopic.php?t=55368 I've found the following instructions.

- open the light just the same as the OE ones with the metal clips around the edge

- take the main unit out of the case

- on the back of the main beam there are some little tiny screws and one of these is adjustable

- undo the other screws (I cant remember how many now) and loosen the adjustable one

- then turn the main beam unit in its housing (I also cant remember which way to turn but there’s only one way lol)

I'm not too sure how to "take the main unit out of the case" , I've fully unscrewed the screw that adjust the left/right angle so one side of the main unit is completly free, but the other side seems kinda clipped in. I don't see any obvious way to pop it out and I don't really want to use brute force.

I'm sure someone has done this before. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Doracor

Mine came set for RHD already although everyone says how easy they are to swap. Biggest problem I found was getting them to dip far enough, I ended up extending the adjusters by about 15mm to see anything but trees!

I've now opened it completly but I'm really not sure what change.

Do I need to rotate the hole beam unit 180 degres? So that the deflector is now at the top? That sounds odd to me.

Here are a few pics of the right headlight seen from the back

tn_1.jpg

tn_2.jpg

tn_3.jpg

Anyone can tell me what to do?

Man you've taken them to bits further than I did and I painted the insides black!

The deflector needs to stay at the bottom as the beams's inverted by the lens so if you put it at the top the road'll be black in front of you and nobody else will be able to see anything but your lights. It just adjusts from one end of the slot to the other to set the cut off from left side of the road to right, that's what it means by loosen the adjustable screw.

To be clear, I just have to slide (rotate) fully the deflector along the slot?

As shown on this picture?

tn_5.jpg

Would you say that it's set for LHD on the picture?

Alsom, just in case, what did you use to extend the adjusters?

To be clear, I just have to slide (rotate) fully the deflector along the slot?

As shown on this picture?

tn_5.jpg

Would you say that it's set for LHD on the picture?

Alsom, just in case, what did you use to extend the adjusters?

Picture me standing looking at my computer upside down :lol: Yes I think you're right and it is set for LHD in the picture, rotate the deflector in the direction of the arrow all the way to the other end of the slot then tighten the screw. Looking at your light from the back (as you'd be when driving your car) turn the whole thing upside down and the deflector will show which part of the beam it's going to cut off, you want the beam to be high on the left (curb side) and low on the right for oncoming traffic.

To extend my adjusters I got some 10mm diameter bar 25mm long, drilled it 5mm through the centre and tapped it M6. Cut the adjusters in the centre and screwed each end into the extension pieces with locknuts to secure everything. I've got a fair bit more stuff in my garage than a lawnmower though!

Once you've got them in the car you'll notice that on main beam only one half of the lights comes on, that's because the dip beam uses a single fillament H7 bulb rather than the standard H4. I fitted extra relays so that the dip stays on with the main beam, much better than before now. Next I'll be fitting HIDs into them for full effect :)

It's crystal clear now. Thanks.

I'm interested by the relay setup you mention because I'd really want both beams to work at the same time when the main beam is on. What relay is that? (Type/Number) and where do you install them?

Thanks for all the info you've provided and sorry to comeback with some questions once more.

No problem with all the questions, it's not like there's a lot of stuff to do in Saudi to keep me occupied.

For the relays I used some from Halfrauds with a fuse in the base, will have to check the part number. I didn't cut any wires, just spliced into them so that the main beam power drives the relay, then I took cables direct from the battery through the switched contact and spliced them into the dip beam power supplies. That way if a relay dies or it's fuse blows dip and main will work just as before, it'll just not switch on dip with main. That's opposite to the way most uprated looms work as they are designed to supply full voltage to the dip beam.

I fly home tonight so I'll check the wire colours, relay details etc and post them some time tomorrow night.