Sign in to follow this  
ziderapple

My new car....not VAG

I've just started a new job and unlike the crappy van I had before I've been given a car. Its totally transformed my view of the marque. Ford. I was a true Ford hater, but I'll admit its won me round.

I've got an 07 plate mondeo ST tdci estate. Its fully loaded, half leather, electric, heated seats, 6 speed box, 155bhp, 2.2 tdi, esp, 6 cd sony radio, cruise control..... I'm really impressed by it, loads of torque and I've not been able to get the mpg on the computer below 41mpg yet. The quality is not to German standards but the OTR price for it and a similar spec'ed German built car would be ££££'s apart. It's huge inside, comfortable and silky smooth, it also handles surprisingly well for such a large car. The 18" alloys mean it has a tendency to tram-line on poor roads, but I can forgive it that. I've only got it as a temporary car, but I'll certianly consider it when it comes to selecting my car.

I had a hire car on Friday just gone and they gave me an old shape Mondeo 2.0 Tdi Titanium on an 07 plate. I too was impressed. It has changed the way I view diesel engined cars. Still sounded like a bag of spanners though.

Yep, I was driving a colleagues Mondeo TDCI and while it was boring and plasticky inside, you could tell it was put together pretty well and with a bit of abuse got fairly interesting!

A lot of "mainstream" cars are really quite good these days.

A TDCi Mondeo is a fast car in real world driving, way more so than the equivalent would have been 10 or 15 years ago.

Depressing!

Thing I don't like about new cars, is that they're too quiet and polite, and you feel totally disconnected from the actual gearbox/engine. Which is great if you do a lot of motorway miles or whatever, but if you like to have fun driving they seem to be somewhat lacking.

That said, I've not driven an R32 or anything particularly new and fast!

Thing I don't like about new cars, is that they're too quiet and polite, and you feel totally disconnected from the actual gearbox/engine. Which is great if you do a lot of motorway miles or whatever, but if you like to have fun driving they seem to be somewhat lacking.

That said, I've not driven an R32 or anything particularly new and fast!

Yep you need to try some new cars mate. Go for some test drives. Put a suit on and pretend to be rich :)

Then ignore your head and the evil german-loving folk on here, and get yaself down the Alfa dealer! ;)