Sign in to follow this  
Lufbramatt

swapping early and late top mounts+ struts

Ive been reading that the late style top mounts raise the front of the car 10mm when you change to them from the old large diameter ones.

Ive got a set of front koni struts and PI lowering springs which came off a later car and they have the 92mm top coil- so I need to change my top mounts and spring top caps to the late type. The top mounts on mine need changing anyway so thats not a problem. My question is, as the whole strut and spring came off a later car, will the suspension still be raised up, as I assume the spring will be slightly shorted to compensate and the ride height will effectively be the same as it would be on a later car?

Im getting a bit confused and im not sure if i will need a set of lowering spring caps to compensate? I dont want the nose up look :?

It's not just spring sag over the years, the G60's and early valvers did sit lower on their standard suspension, even though the later springs may well be slightly shorter than the early ones, never actually seen the two side by side though.

cheers

i found some JOM lowering spring caps cheap on ebay which were less than normal vag ones which i wouldve needed anyway so worse situation is i end up with a 50mm drop instead of 40mm 8)