Sign in to follow this  
Jim

VW's 'R' branding just went down in my estimation!

Modern 4x4 are not as light and nimble as a 60s landrover but have you tried to drive a landrover for any distance in either normal trafic or on a motorway?

No. I've driven far worse. Try driving V8 Defender 90 with a 4" jack up and big knobblies on the road, or my mate's Bob Tail Range Rover v8 with 6" Jack up. I hear what you're saying. The modern SUVs are nice and cossetting and smooth. They have to be or they wouldn't sell to chelsea mums now would they?

They are not the same things and you cant compare them.

I can and I did. The point of the albeit high level comparison was that despite a modern SUV like the Cayenne's high tech menu of gadgets, it can still be matched or bettered by older, lower tech cars.

I drive these things on a VERY challenging off road course in Beures here in the south east and I promise you this, a Cayenne would NOT get over a lot of the obstacles and tracks because it's just far too big. The front and rear overhangs for a start would let it down....and it's huge weight. I don't say the things I do off the cuff, it's based on experience.

Also, how about the transiberian Rally, Cayenne absolutly stormed the rally setting a course record for the stages. You just can't say thay Cayenne is not a superior off road machine. It has a fantastic off road system with an aray of gadgets to assist with the demands of an off road obstacles.

Very impressive, even if it was modified for the conditions and a route already well known and well traveled. I already said I am impressed with the Cayenne technically more than once, and but cannot see the point of it as a road car....or as an off road car, as sold. Porsche have a history of off road ability with the Dakar 959, so good to see they haven't lost their touch.... but that's why people like Porsches so much, because they're reliable.