Sign in to follow this  
RDH

2.0 16v refuses to start NOW SORTED

Hi, just tried to start my 94 2.0 16v and it refuses to fire.

When I turn ignition on I can hear the fuel pump, the car turns over fine, but will not start. It has been stood for a week in the garage (has been left longer and has been ok).

Only thing different is I removed the Head unit last week and fitted a better one, had a few wiring difficulties to sort, but all appeared ok. Car has a Toad alarm which appears to be functioning ok (locks and unlocks, proximity sensors working etc).

Have had a quick look at the plug leads etc and again appear ok (not loose or split).

Car has recently been serviced and has had a new cam belt, engine has done 113k with good history.

Any ideas?, I am not particularly mechanically minded, have tried search function and am non the wiser.

TIA

Rich.

Will try that with the relays.

No idea how old ignition switch is,no evidence it has ever been changed. is that a likely souce?

Thanks for Reply

Rich

Could be yeah, they have improved the part... worth changing anyway if not done before - if your lucky your local VW dealer might have one instock tomorrow (the only one worth buying)

cheers for that, are they easy to fit, and roughly how much are they?

Thanks

Rich

Check you've got a spark,

Disconnect any of the plug leads at the plug end, connect to any old (but working) spark plug and lay it on the engine so you can see the electrodes. The metal body of the plug needs to be in contact with earthed metal on the engine. Turn the engine over as if trying to start the car at the same time watch the spark plug, you should be able to see a spark between the electrodes, it's easier to see in the dark. Try it and let us know the result.

Check you've got a spark,

Disconnect any of the plug leads at the plug end, connect to any old (but working) spark plug and lay it on the engine so you can see the electrodes. The metal body of the plug needs to be in contact with earthed metal on the engine. Turn the engine over as if trying to start the car at the same time watch the spark plug, you should be able to see a spark between the electrodes, it's easier to see in the dark. Try it and let us know the result.

Will do

Thanks

Decided to go to shop to get a sparkplug to check I have a spark,and I decided to buy a jump start kit (been intending getting one for ages).

Checked spark-all ok decided to try starting car with jump start battery pack attached....car started!, looks like I need to consider a new battery/check alternator is ok.

Thanks for help

Rich.