Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

288mm brake calipers

Has anyone bought this brand new from the dealers before?

or are you better off buying 2nd/3rd hand and having them refurb'd?

As every mk3 VR6 and GTI from about 1994 onwards had them you should be able to pick up a pair in good nick S/H pretty cheaply, you can try VW but I'd imagine they'd be on an exchange basis unless you're prepared to pay a huge surcharge.

i got a new caliper for the car from there before when one ceased, just a standard 280mm and it was about £50/60 i think

You can expand your search to Passat B5's, i fitted brakes i got off a 99 Passat. Calipers are slightly different to the Golf's in that the brake hose fitment is different, Golf uses Banjo fitment while the Passats use the standard screw pipes as used on Rado VR's.

I recall seeing in ETKA that you can buy all the seals, so could be refurbed fairly cheaply.

As every mk3 VR6 and GTI from about 1994 onwards had them you should be able to pick up a pair in good nick S/H pretty cheaply, you can try VW but I'd imagine they'd be on an exchange basis unless you're prepared to pay a huge surcharge.

careful... not all gtis had 288's and the larger callipers, i've got them on my gti and its a 96 anni but the previous owner told me he bought them from a late model VR, the red paint on them was slightly different from the factory so i'm guessing this was true... i was under the impression most gti's still came with the smaller ones like the corrado vr

can anyone confirm that if i get passat calipers i use the existing brake hoses?

or what do i buy if i want better hoses?