Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Full service + tappet noise

Hi chaps,

Not really had a chance as yet to introduce myself, but let me cut-to-the-chase...

I've recently bought a mint VR6 with full VW service history and being HM Forces have exported the car with me to Germany :-) Its all about driving on the autobahn lads with 'special' 100RON German petrol. 8)

Anyway, I want/need my car serviced (70,000miles coming up soonish) at my local VW garage, but have no idea what kind of cost I'm looking at (despite getting 20% discount as I'm not subject to German tax) or what they'll do as part of the service itself. Can anyone give me an idea? I reckon with the German winter coming it would be a good time to change the dizzy cap, HT leads etc etc

Also, I'm getting a quiet tappet-like noise from the engine recently...bit of a dumb question I realise, but could this in fact be the tappets needing replacing? :( Or am I just using the wrong oil or something...hang-on, what is the right oil?

Welcome to the forum matey, not jealous at all about 100RON petrol and Autobahns :( . If the noise is coming from the right hand side of the engine then it's the timing chain tensioners/chains, there are loads of threads about it if you do a search, I'm a DIY mechanic but not professional so could be wrong, but the tappets are hydraulc so they generally shouldn't 'tap' at anything other than cold start up and very briefly [5secs].

As for the service, new oil and filter and if the gearbox oil hasn't already been done 70K is about that time, check the air filter and belts and change if neccessary, plugs and if it's pulling well [no misfires] it shouldn't need dizzy cap or HT leads.

The tappet like noise is more noticeable starting from cold, but is also present when the car is warmed up. The performance of the car seems unaffected, however, I obviously want to sort it out!

Now you mention it, I think it could be coming from the right-hand side of the car...hmmm, guess I'll have to let my local VW dealership deal with it. I wonder how I'm going to explain that with my basic German! Das chains kaput?

As for the petrol, I can also use Optimax/V-Power...and a full tank costs me about 15-20 Euros. Did I mention I get fuel coupons? Ha! :D I remember when I last filled up in the UK and it was almost £60!

The chains? I thought the chains lasted the length of the engine? Rather than replacing a cambelt every 60,000miles?!

So, is it going to cost me bucks, or indeed

well you're right to say the that the engine wont last any longer than the chains.... if they break!

but no, the engine will keep going for much longer than the chains, or more pressingly the chain tensioners. most get done as a precaution around 120k-150k although some say earlier. if they're not you're running just as much of a risk as a belt, just a delayed one..

As above, it's not worth stressing about, it'll probably do another 20-30K without trouble, didn't mean to cause alarm just making a suggestion as to the source of the noise.