Sign in to follow this  
Bally

HeadGasket on a KR 1.8 16v

oh bollards, is it still filling the sump with water then?

I used a 1.8 headset and bolts from GSF and Motorserve, neither gave any problems, it's the 2L blocks that benefit from the VW metal gasket AFAIK, not even sure there is a metal version for the 1.8 anyway.

oh bollards, is it still filling the sump with water then?

I used a 1.8 headset and bolts from GSF and Motorserve, neither gave any problems, it's the 2L blocks that benefit from the VW metal gasket AFAIK, not even sure there is a metal version for the 1.8 anyway.

Morning mate

yes since fitting the oil cooler & doing the matrix its got worse.. oils such a messy.. flushed the systme lastnite... really bad... dont want to screw the engine up... its done alsmot 189k so still good for OE lump...

cars not overheating etc... not got the symtoms of a HG failure... but for the sake of a few quid gona wip the head of & do the gasket.. real shame as I wanted to pull the whole lot out & do a complete engine change.. bad time of year to be doing that on the driveway... :lol:

Cars parked up for now til the wkend & I'll rip it all apart!!

Im gona order the bits this morning...

Welcome to the KR headgasket club lol. Replaced mine 2 months ago and it went in a big way yesterday, think the head has cracked though so bit of a bigger job than yours unfortunately.

You will need new stretch bolts and head gasket set of course, perhaps consider getting the head skimmed while its off and perhaps even get it ported, Valve stem oil seals? they are a bitch to do but well worth doing while the head is off.

I would advise to have a haynes for a golf with same engine as that was quite helpful when i was doing mine.

Good luck to you anyway!!

Thanks mate... gona do the valve steam seals etc... not bothered abt performance with this lump, just want it running & use it through the winter.. its all being ripped put next year for something special..... :D

Ive just done a full top end rebuild with a new gaskit and bolts i sorted out the CO at work cus it in runing lean and now it runs so sweet and ive had no problem with it so far. hope it all gose well for u dude

yeah I have recently joined the kr headgasket club! just a warning, when i changed mine the waterways in the head had been son badly worn away i am now having to replace the engine, so keep an eye out! good luck on it!

I think my KR head rebuild cost me about £300. I have head of GSF cambelt tensioners giving problems in the past, and would always replace this part when doing the head.

The head shop will woan the head set to use the seals in the rebuild.

Timing isn't too hard to set up. Might be worth putting new tappets in if you're feeling flush...

Thanks all for yr replies... well the headgaskets changed & all done.. It was really badly worn & damged.. cleaned up all the head & bottom end, alot of gunk in the breathers etc.. gave it a good run this evening.. no issues so far.. all running fine.. good to be back in it & driving it again.. Big Thanks to Gareth & Roby D for there time today.. My bro for painting few bits up & bleeding the coolant system up & Bill for the dremel & other tools...

Hopefully get through the winter now & then I'll be changing the old valver for NewSkool power!!! :D