Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

pollen filter frame

I've discovered a possible mod for the crappy mk2 style leaf cover for the blower motor.

It fits in place of the original and from what I could see last night the only issues are slightly different fixings to hold it down and the possibility of water draining in from the far right of the scuttle cover as it's longer than the original plastic grille.

This shouldn't be a problem with the one piece carbon scuttle covers and the flimsy plastic original might actually stretch over it.

On a 1.8 16v at least, it doesn't foul the ECU units - just.

There is a clip-on Jetex panel filter for the original unit, but this is expensive, small and restrictive to this one with a proper rectangular panel. The pic is the wrong way round BTW.

It's passat 94-96.

I've discovered a possible mod for the crappy mk2 style leaf cover for the blower motor.

It fits in place of the original and from what I could see last night the only issues are slightly different fixings to hold it down and the possibility of water draining in from the far right of the scuttle cover as it's longer than the original plastic grille.

This shouldn't be a problem with the one piece carbon scuttle covers and the flimsy plastic original might actually stretch over it.

On a 1.8 16v at least, it doesn't foul the ECU units - just.

There is a clip-on Jetex panel filter for the original unit, but this is expensive, small and restrictive to this one with a proper rectangular panel. The pic is the wrong way round BTW.

It's passat air-con BTW.

That looks like something worth trying, I'm really impressed with the Jetex pollen filter the way it keeps the inside of the screen clean but as you say it's pretty small and rather pricy to swap out every year or so.

How different are the fixings and do you have a part number on the moulding, might be easier than dragging round scrappers looking for Passats!

I think it's going to take a bit of modding, as the fixings although similar in design clip to a raised peg in the passat that is higher than the Corrado ones, the main thing is the opening and seal are exactly the right size.

There may be a small clearance issue in the metal panel of the car that the scuttle cover clips too, but I had it resting in place last night, albeit without the filter clipped in, the passat one fell to bits!

I didn't write down the number last night, but it's a 94-96 passat, according to ETKA it's with or without air con, no. 3A2 819 640.

i have allready tried this with the frame from a seat leon which is the same as the passat one, it only just fits with a bit of alteration to the fixings but when the filter is actually installed it was just a bit too tall and fouls on the scuttle panel, it could probably be fiddled a bit more to fit properly but you can buy a filter which fits over the original intake so i couldnt see the point of altering the leon one any more.

Yeah, I tried the MK3 one but it's huage...

Just blew my Jetex one out with the airline, looks cleaner but whether it will still work as well or not remains to be seen...