Sign in to follow this  
jamminvr6storm

Clutch choice for Supercharged VR

I had a standard clutch in my VR when I bought it on 50k, by 55k it was slipping so as part of the 'ongoing' upgrade process (and knowing i had plans for more power) i fitted a Black Diamond fast road unit which has been excellent untill fitting my big valve head, charger and cams. I went to see Peanut on Sunday and on the way i had 4 guys in a shi**y old Honda right up my arse, giving it..... So i thought, see if your little sh*t box can keep up with this.... I planted the throttle only to find that evertime my charger kicked in the bloody clutch slipped!! ffs!!!

Oh the embarasement as this Honda crept passed me, the look on my face would have been a picture :shock:

So what im asking is what clutch should i go for now? After doing a search i have read about Helix clutches, very good but also very on/off if you get me? Ive also heard that the Sachs Racing clutch is a good unit? It has to to easily hold 300bhp......

What is everyone else using thats either charged or turbo'd their VR's?

Mate,

I am using the standard one at the moment, although it was new only about 5000 miles ago, when the engine was rebuilt. If I go for more power, I would consider the Helix item, as I believe CrazyDave has one and he reckons its very good.

HTH

Charlie

Cheers Charlie, havent spoken to you since Brands mate hope alls well :) funnily enough Gav said to ask CrazyDave what he's running....?

I was also wondering about KAD, cheesewire, stormcharged etc.... just trying to get feedback from people who are running a non-standard clutch to see what they recommend?

Cheers

CrazyDave is running the same clutch as me, the Helix Autosport organic and it does the job nicely 8)

I've tried all manner of different clutches in mine and the Helix is the best so far. Not a huge amount heavier than stock tbh and pretty smooth and progressive.

There's a tiny bit of acceptable judder on taking up drive in 1st, but only at a certain bite point and rpm, otherwise it's stock smooth.

You might also get some pressure plate chatter with the clutch pedal up and sat in neutral. It's a whirring noise that goes away when you push the pedal, but is quite normal. It sounds like a layshaft or input shaft bearing gone bad, but it's not ;-)

The clutch can hold about 400lb/ft torque I'm led to believe.

Cheesewire, CrazyDave where did you get your clutches from?

I was wondering if it was a ship over from the US jobby? Then again with the pound as strong as it is that may not be a bad idea.............

Im using a SPEC 3+ which is good for 525 lb/ft of torque apparently. Its not harsh like the AP paddle I was using before. Its a little heavier on the pedal than standard but you get used to it very quickly. Very little judder on take off and hasn't slipped yet, touch wood! Ive been using it for a 1000 miles or so. £300ish from the US.

I havent used an uprated clutch in a corrado, however on a couple of previous cars i have rebuilt i have used helix clutches and have found them to be very very good.

another thing that some people don't know is that the pressure plate on the clutch is one of the things that puts the bottom end of the engine most out of balance (as it is a heavy plate which the standard manufacturers dont spend as much time on as they should as it costs money). Helix clutches come through the door all balanced up and ready to go :D

also if you have ever looked at a helix clutch out of the box then they are superbly put together

Helix Helix Helix all the way

Hmmm interesting.....

Ill be looking at that SPEC 3+ unit, if those figures are correct then it can hold more power then the helix and its nearly £200 cheaper :shock:

I found some info on Helix Clutches... (Erm... borrowed from another forum)

These are the torque ratings of the clutches.

organic - 280 lb/ft

paddle - 332 lb/ft

They test the clutches to see what they can hold on a rig of some sorts and hold the clutch in a static amount of torque, i.e. the clutches can hold the above figures forever, as when a rolling road holds the power on them constant, cept it would be forever ;\)

For an on the road normal application, the figures are slightly different.

organic - 350 lb/ft

paddle - 398 lb/ft

These are absolute maximum figures and if you are near the top end of the clutch torque limit, it will wear the clutch very quickly. But it will still hold that amount.

When i read on through the post the guy says he was warned by the supplier that on a ''1/4 mile santa pod thrash'' it might struggle to hold the power off the line because of the strain!

Thing is where do you buy a Helix Organic clutch from for a VR6? Their website is down.... or at least the page is that I want!!

you could always pay demon tweeks/theives a visit - they havent been too bad when buying clutches from previously, i have had lots of stuff from them in the past though, so get a bit of discount - be worth going through a friend in a similar situation if you know someone...

other than that, if you have any reputable motorsport outlet near you i would be surprised if they cant get hold of one as lots of people deal with helix...

The helix can hold a fair bit more than 280lb/ft because my engine makes well over that.

Helix are a very small company, but Stealth supply the clutches if you want one.

Folk that go for clutches that can take silly torque are missing the bigger picture. You do actually need a little slip in a clutch to reduce strain on the transmission. Subaru do it, Mitsubishi do it, Helix do it, and others....

I've seen what happens to an 02A when you put too much grunt through it. It shatters the entire trans casing from the diff housing right to the top of the bell housing....and that's if 3rd gear doesn't disintigrate first.

As Pete says, the grip to pedal weight compromise the Helix has is spot on imo.

Now the bad news.....they're about £400 for the VR6..... but that's mainly because of the pressure plate, which is a Sachs Sporting one. They just use their own friction lining.

If Sachs still do their sporting range of clutches (not to be confused with the likes of Black diamond "uprated clutches", they're schitt) then they're £450, but it's a proper clutch though.

Ive heard Helix is the best to go for from many people and is what ive gone for. The Phirm rate them highly and obviously Stealth must do also if they sell them. Ive heard negative reports from people with paddle clutches due to there awkwardness for everyday driving.

My Helix arrived from Stealth yesterday..... 1 Day to deliver :shock: good price too....

Cheers to Vince :)

Once ive fitted it I will post up my feedback, cheers for the advice chaps.

Yeah Stealth got rid of CitiLink and they're with Business Post/FedEx now and they're brilliant :-)

IIRC and in common with most aftermarket clutches, the Helix doesn't come with a release bearing , so you might want to grab one from your stealer....

The helix can hold a fair bit more than 280lb/ft because my engine makes well over that.

It must be making around 350-400lb/ft right Kev??

You obviously haven't seen the Stealth Rolling road day thread in "Events and Announcements"? :lol:

She made 392hp and 337lb/ft @ 11psi mate 8)

I'm thinking of cranking the boost up to 15psi just to steam past chavs that little bit faster, LOL!

Vince told me the Helix can handle 500hp but isn't sure about the torque rating. Seems fine with nearly 340lb though. Hasn't slipped once.

:lol: Oh right, no i havent (ill go look now). Thats more reassuring then! I figured it was prob more as The Phirms Goof is runnig 16psi which prob takes the torque to 400ish with the Helix.

Thats some good figures, surely you must be 'content' with that so far LOL.

15psi....why not Kev!!!! :D

Ill soon find out what 10 and 15 psi feels like in January i guess :)

There's a big difference between 10 and 15psi, carry a spare pair of pants in your glove box :lol:

Yeah I'm content with how it is now. Running 11psi means the big GT35R is merely ticking over, but still making chunky power :-)