Sign in to follow this  
Rento_VW

Key Light/LED. There a way to make it brighter?

I'm not sure if they gave the Corrados in Europe and other countires the "Main car key" that came with a light that is activated when pushing the VW sign on the keys. They are pretty rare, but anywho, I looked around VWVortex, there's a few mentions of putting in a stronger LED, however, nothing specific.

I just want a brighter light just because I find myself trying to light things up with the key out of boredom... Not mention, it could save money by preventing you from keying your own car.

I just need to know if I could use a stronger battery and LED combo, or go fully custom with just a strong battery + LED and jerry-rig a "tappet" plate on the inside of the button to make the connection between said battery and LED.

Thanks guys.

I don't think it's an LED at all, just a small, conventional bulb - or at least that's what mine turned out to be. Maybe you could get an HID upgrade ;-)

Are they rare? I have one, but thought they came with every Corrado. Though the bulb doesnt work, where can i get a new bulb from?

You can get them and the battery from your friendly, local VWAG dealer. I can't remember how much, but it's not a lot, I don't think.

Are they rare? I have one, but thought they came with every Corrado. Though the bulb doesnt work, where can i get a new bulb from?

So yeah, they did come with every Rado. Here in the states they are very rare, not sure how they get lost, but the keys that comes with most Rados out here are the regular black key. I got lucky and got all three keys, Lighted, unlighted, and valet.

I'm just looking to put some very bright LED or something in there that you could spot a mile into a forest.

And yeah, your local VW dealer should have it, probably like 3GBP.

Yes it's possible to replace the bulb with a Superbright white LED.

Basically you stack two CR2030 1.5V batteries on top of eachother to feed a 3V LED. You'll need to sand off the brass coating from the wiring inside or the solder won't stick to it.

It's pretty straight forward, did it on my key, but went back to a bulb again as the LED had a very narrow angle of light and the novelty soon wore off. Just get a new bulb and battery, it's plenty bright enough!

Hmmm thanks. I might try your LED thing first, and if that fails, meh.

I was kinda wondering if I had to solder too... I'm not bad w/ soldering when it comes to something small, but when it comes to doing something that is worth something, I mess it up, so I might not do it now lol. :?