Sign in to follow this  
Fluff

Replacing the headlamp glass.....without shagging it...??

Hey guys, anyone out there in C land got any tips on replacing the headlamp glass?? I went for the cheaper option, rather than a new headlight at £95! :x ...flippin cheek!.....and I haven't looked at the headlight yet, so thought I'd ask before I knacker the thing... Is it a simple job? Yes, I know.....'simple' and 'Corrado' aren't words that usually go together but I live in hope........ :crazyeyes:

Yea, its easy enough. 3 screws remove the unit from the car. The plastic surround will pull off. You'll see lugs holding it in place - if it sticks, you might have to prise these free, but other wise it should slide off. Then prise the 10 or so metal clips off. These hold the glass to the unit, and can be removed with a screwdriver, tho hold your hand over them when you prise them off, otherwise you'll spend some time trying to find them again. Oh and prise them off the plastic housing first, otherwise you might damage the glass, and vice versa when your pushing them back on.

DON'T touch the reflector when the glass is off, I noticed that a damp finger will start to remove the silver!!

Good luck.

Chuck, you're a diamond mate! Thanks very much for the quick response.....and the advice! I shall give it a go this week-end......

Cheers,

Fluff

I found the easiest way was to lever two small flat blade screwdrivers on the glass side (it won't crack) under each clip and then push them off the plastic side by hand. Levering from the plastic side I found caused mashing of the plastic before they prized free.

3 along the top

3 along the bottom

2 on one side

1 on the other

Gently wipe over the chromed reflectors with a soft cloth to remove residue and don't what ever you use a chemical cleaner as it'll strip the chrome plating right off, leaving a nasty yellow primer behind it.

Clean up the rubber sealing strip and then stick your new glass on!

Kev

Cheers Kev! I couldn't do it this week-end, but hope to next week. One question.....I'm assuming that undoing the 3 retaining screws will shag the headlight alignment? I haven't looked at it yet........ :D

Removing the headlamp shouldn't affect the alignment too much as there is almost no adjustment in these 3 screws/holes. The adjustment is internal to the headlamp, so as long as you put the same headlamp back on without messing with the mirror, your headlamp aim shouldn't be affected much... 8)

Cheers Kev! I couldn't do it this week-end, but hope to next week. One question.....I'm assuming that undoing the 3 retaining screws will shag the headlight alignment? I haven't looked at it yet........ :D

Nah, the outer body of the lights are fixed as Henny said.

Light alignment isn't that precise anyway. It's just to stop you blinding people at night by pointing the offside one at the floor and the nearside one higher and to the left. Basically, if you illuminate the person in front's head at night, your offside light needs a few turns of the white knob to lower it slightly.

Kev

I have just changed one lense and it looks sooooo much brighter than the other!! If I take the other lense off and clean behind it would I end up damaging the gasket or could I reuse it?

I changed the gasket on the other side but not sure if that was necessary!

I am of course being a perfectionist.....

i took mine all apart and re used the rubber gasket thing...just be carefull if you decide to clean the chrome... it can rub off...

learned this recently, you can get the h/light reflectors re-chromed!

how much and where???

ta

I learned this recently, you can get the h/light reflectors re-chromed!

Chris

Where please...and how much, just for future knowledge!