Sign in to follow this  
TROOPER88

POOR PERFORMANCE 1.8 16V

just one other thought

I am not sure whether the 16v C has a fuel lift pump in the tank as per a 8v Digifant

but if it does they are £25 about and fairly easy to replace

my mk2 golf digifant did exactly how you describe and the lift pump failure starved the main pressure pump of petrol

I replaced the main pump twice (at great expense) before I reallised the lift pump had failed

does the pump make a whining sound under the car ?

Hi Chris

I have not listened for a whine under the car? When would it whine; when running? Should it be making a noise?

When it happened on your Golf was performance; as in acceleration poor?

Cheers

just one other thought

I am not sure whether the 16v C has a fuel lift pump in the tank as per a 8v Digifant

but if it does they are £25 about and fairly easy to replace

my mk2 golf digifant did exactly how you describe and the lift pump failure starved the main pressure pump of petrol

I replaced the main pump twice (at great expense) before I reallised the lift pump had failed

does the pump make a whining sound under the car ?

I may be utterly totally wrong but here goes

The lift pump in the tank feeds fuel to the reservoir housing the main (pressure) fuel pump

If the lift pump fails the main pump is working overtime trying to fuel the engine and will eventually become noisy as it is lubricated by fuel - and will fail

The car will die as it is starved of fuel and pick up again when the pressure is back - but full pressure will not be maintained - hence no power

The symptoms you describe are very similar to my old Golf

So, I think, and I stand to be corrected by other members, that either the lift pump has failed or the main pump is on its way out, the lift pump is the cheaper option.........but I suggest you get it tested before throwing money at it......the simplest things can cause the biggest headaches

Hello to all.....

Been away in Egypt for a week so sorry for no reply!!

Just before I went I had a guy by my work take a look. The tining was out by 3 degrees and he replaced a section of intake pipe. This has naturally helped.

The fuel economy is now better.

To me it still feels underpowered and its as though you have to work the car very hard just to get any where but this may just be the car. I normally drive 205 gti's and these are a huge amount quicker.

The only fault that remains is when you pull of in first (also does it in second) as you hit 1800 rpm the car dies (power all goes) so you put your foot down a bit harder to make it pick up???

Now this could just be the 'smooth' way Im driving it as to avoid this happening you give it slightly more revs (just to 2k or so) and it will pull away with no stalling. The throttle pedal on the car is quite stiff compared to what Im used to; I have had mk2 Golf gti's before and they were the same. so I guess it could just be Im not depressing the throttle hard enough???

I need to get it sorted as Ill prob sell it soon and move on to something with a litle more power.... :D

Thanks again in advance for all your help and suggestions!

Paul

hi

any news on what problem is? hope I was able to help. Corrados are not cheap to maintain....

sounds like you need a new throttle cable, they wear really badly as they have to turn 180 degrees over the manifold.

16valves hit the cams at 4000 rpm then you get the power up to nearly 7000 rpm - I think you have a throttle problem as well as fuelling - 3 degrees out on timing would not give symptons you describe - sell me the car and I'll sort it!

My last Corrado 1.8 16valve did 156bhp on Stealth rolling road (ask Vince it is on his computer) and was standard with everything sorted - so yours has definitely a simple problem - sort it and you will love it - if not tell me how much you want for it - where you are etc - I don't know how much you paid but if its low mileage as you say I am interested

My curent C VR6 does 223 bhp - and is enormously quick - as for pugs I wouldn't give them house room - crap cars -

stick to vw mate you will have more friends

I also have a mk1 golf gti which is immaculate and goes like stink - will beat a pug all day long

Ill have it on e-bay hopefully over the weekend so you can see it then. Ill drop by and see a guy i know and show him because I can now just sit in the car and very gently put foot on throttle and hold it at 1800 rpm and then you can clearly see and hear the engine revs falling to and rising constantly if you hold your foot at the same position

Cheers

My last Corrado 1.8 16valve did 156bhp on Stealth rolling road (ask Vince it is on his computer) and was standard with everything sorted - so yours has definitely a simple problem - sort it and you will love it - if not tell me how much you want for it - where you are etc - I don't know how much you paid but if its low mileage as you say I am interested

My curent C VR6 does 223 bhp - and is enormously quick - as for pugs I wouldn't give them house room - crap cars -

stick to vw mate you will have more friends

I also have a mk1 golf gti which is immaculate and goes like stink - will beat a pug all day long

.. to the garage, most likely ... ;)

Problem solved....

Took to the guy by my work and he called a Corrado expert of his with the diagnosis; hits 1800 rpm and then dies...

He came back and unplugged a solonoid which is located under the air intake pipes and is next to the suspenison mounts. Hey presto problem gone but I would like to know what this solenoid does. Car works fine without it?????

Cheers

sounds like you need a new throttle cable, they wear really badly as they have to turn 180 degrees over the manifold.

to dr_mat why you slagging off golf mk1 this is a VW forum?

Just trying to bring a bit of even-handedness to a forum full of people who seem to believe that VWs never break down, despite all the evidence to the contrary .. !

And take the piss. of course.. ;)

vw do break down and so do audis big style - know what you mean - but gti mk1 is easy to fix whereas corrados are more complex..............and audis are like - open the bonnet and what do you do? don't wish to fall out just was giving opinion on pugs - I have C vr6 Audi S3 and gti mk1 - love them all - but as you say they need tlc as does every car

but as you say they need tlc as does every car

Wasn't trying to start an argument (for once :) ), just commenting because in my experience Peugeots have been the most reliable cars I've ever known. They may be engineered quite lightweight, but that does tend to mean they're less stressed and as long as you don't thrape 'em they're much more reliable than any ageing VW. There's a reason why the Pug 306 TDi is the 2nd car of choice for Corrado owners: you know it will ALWAYS get you to the garage to get the bits you need for the C, even if you didn't service it (or drive it) for the last five years..! :)

Problem solved....

I would like to know what this solenoid does. Car works fine without it?????

Anyone know what thsi solenoid does then?? Why would it cause the car to lose power at the 1800rpm mark??

Problem solved....

I would like to know what this solenoid does. Car works fine without it?????

Anyone know what thsi solenoid does then?? Why would it cause the car to lose power at the 1800rpm mark??

idle air by-pass valve?

BTW, how good is the Vibratechnics mount on your 16v?, considering one as my 16v moves about too much on standard front mounts.

Can't really fault the vibratech mount. Had it on there for about 5 years now without any trouble at all out of it. Engine is held securely in there with hardly any movement, but there's no excess noise or vibration in the cabin from it. I'd def recommend it over the rubbishy ones from ECP (went through 2 of those in a year before buying this one...)