Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Buying a sandblasting setup

decided whilst cleaning my brakes up that i'm going to buy a sand blasting setup between me and a mate, and set it up in his workshop

does anyone know much about what to get, what not to get? looking at a gun with a pick-up pipe rather than a hopper

should be very useful as i'm always finding myself struggling with a wire brush etc

also will be able to offer my services to other people :D

I bought the generic Chinese made red cabinet a while back.

Works ok but you really need to add some negative pressure otherwise the filter cant cope. I bought another filter from the spares department and fitted that too but it still overpressurises. A hoover sucking on the inside of the filter cures it though :D

I bought the generic Chinese made red cabinet a while back.

Works ok but you really need to add some negative pressure otherwise the filter cant cope. I bought another filter from the spares department and fitted that too but it still overpressurises. A hoover sucking on the inside of the filter cures it though :D

i was going to get chap to make a cabinet for me instead of buying one

not sure what you mean about overpressurising? the filter in bottom of cabinet? or do you have one near the gun? for filtering the sand

the cabinet we thought of is basically a box with large two screens of mesh (different sizes) and then a sloped bottom to a hole which goes back to gun

You're blowing compressed air into a sealed box and there has to be a way for the pressure to be released without taking the sand with it. That's done through a hole in the back of the cabinet with a filter attached.

As above, basically yan found when new the single filter was ok but as it got slightly clogged it started to over pressure... he fitted a second to overcome this.

As above, basically yan found when new the single filter was ok but as it got slightly clogged it started to over pressure... he fitted a second to overcome this.

But that does not work as well as I would like either so I bought a cheap vacuum cleaner and am going to shove into one of the filters to give it a bit more suction.

The little red cabs do give you all the bits you need, one day in the distant future I will be making my own cab out of some plywood and make it about alloy wheel size..