Sign in to follow this  
steven_j_bennett

Ignition Switch

Help!!!

I have a 90 1.8 16v C.

Not long had it and when i bought it the steering lock was broken and the steeering colum plastic cowling didnt fit properly!

Today had some new wheels fitted and decided to fit my Momo steering wheel and try and sort it out! only to find the ignition switch housing was buckled and broken and held on by a dodgy looking jubillee clip (thats why cowling didn't fit)!

After a trip to vw and £48 later i had a shiny new housing minus the ignition switch.

I dont have a corrado workshop manual (haynes dont do one and i refuse to pay £80 from big boys toys for one!) so had a look at my mk 2 golf one which gave me the basics on how to fit the replacement part.

The problem i have is trying to get the ignition switch out of the old housing in my golf manual it looks like it just pulls out but i have tried and tried and tried but can not get the thing to budge.

Does anyone know how the switch comes out or has a corrado manual that they could possibly scan the relevant page of and mail to me so that i can sort this out!

Steve

*shiny new 17" wheels but cant start the bloody thing*

There is a hidden/awkward screw holding it in....

...to get to it rest your head on the clutch pedal with your legs out of the window :p

GSF sell the switch for about a 10er

Thanks but if possible wanted to keep he same key so i dont have a seperate one for ignition and doors. (sounds petty but with 4 cars your talking a lot of keys in ya pocket)

Still if i have to get a new ignition switch am i gonna have the same nightmare trying to get it in as what i am having trying to get it out!!!

...to get to it rest your head on the clutch pedal with your legs out of the window

Thats where ive been going wrong ive had me head on the brake and my legs out the sunroof!! Can you get someone to take a picture of you in the poisition i need to be in so i make sure i get it right (ha ha ha!!!)

Cheers

Thanks but if possible wanted to keep he same key so i dont have a seperate one for ignition and doors. (sounds petty but with 4 cars your talking a lot of keys in ya pocket)

The switch itself is completly seperate from the lock barrel - the triangle shape at the end of the key is the only bit that goes into the switch itself.

Sorry

Must have mis explained what i need then!

I need to get the ignition barrell (the bit which the key actually goes into) from the old ignition housing so that i can fit it into the new ignition housing! at the moment i have completley removed the ignition housing from the car (the bit which the indicator and wiper stalfs screw into) with the ignition barrel in situ. I have removed the block connector from the back of the ignition switch and undone the screw which is holding the ignition switch onto the ignition barrel and removed the switch.

All thats left to do is swap over the ignition barrel which is what i cant remove from the old ignition housing!

(i think thats more accurate) :?

Any ideas!

You need to drill a hole in the housing and poke a drill bit in there to release it. The Haynes shows you where to drill it.

Gavin

Drilled the hole! :)

Popped the spring! :)

Ignition barrel released! :D

because of buckled old housing still a bit tight so prised out gently with screwdriver! :D

Ignition Barrel pops out! :lol:

Hits the deck! :(

Breaks the last 1/4 inch off the end of the ignition barrel! :twisted:

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH! :evil:

Anyone know where i can buy a cheap ignition barrel? (so much for trying to cut down the amount of keys i have!!!)

I don't know if they recalled the ignition in the UK, but there is a recall for the US Corrado's for the ignition, they'll replace the whole kit n' kaboodle for free!

Along with this recall is the heater core (this i found out after my C decided to puke antifreeze INSIDE my passenger foot well :oops: !)

give VW a ring, see if the recall stands in the UK

Will