Sign in to follow this  
NomoreGT4

Picked up my Corrado tonight.................

Evening all,

Just thought I'd let you know that I picked up my Corrado this afternoon. It needs a few things doing to it, but these should only be small jobs. I'm not sure what I was expecting from the car, but I had an awful feeling on the way home, kind of like a 'Have I made the right decision?' kind of feeling :? . I'm sure I have made the right decision, I guess I was spoilt by my last car some what. I just didn't have the same feeling I had as when I bought my last car.......i.e grinning like a Cheshire cat all the way home :D

The lights on these Corrados are terrible aren't they :shock: :shock: :shock: . I could have sworn I had a couple of candles showing me the way home:lol:

Please bear with me as I'm still a bit of a newbie to the VW world & if the following list of things to do are on a 'How To' list somewhere on the forum then I'm sure I'll find them in due course 8). But all comments & hepful directions are always welcome 8)

So on the list of things to do are:

1) Upgrade the candles for actual lights & change head lights/bulbs (I hear a wiring loom can be adapted to fit somehow?)

2) O/S/F headlight lense has cracked, so needs to be changed,

3) Drivers seat is a bit wobbley & I can't move the seat as near to the steering wheel as I'd like to :? . The previous owner (Steve) did say he had changed the seats over, so maybe it'll be a case of just taking it out & having a poke around under the seat? I thought my GT4 was low to get into, but these are even lower to sit in :lol:

4) A service.

5) A good clean & wax/polish.

6) The temp gauge doesn't work, but Steve said this is probably only a sensor that needs replacing.

I'll get some pics up when I get round to washing it too.

Adios for now amigos.

Rich

re lights,

there are uprated looms available for this job mate. if you do a quick search you will surely find something usefull. still not done this myself yet!! :)

hope you enjoy your new wheels bud 8)

Don't be in an immediate hurry to upgrade the wiring loom. I'd suggest taking the headlights out, picking up some replacement lenses from your local dealer (think they're £20/side) and put some uprated bulbs in, instead of the standard candles. I've compared my car running an uprated loom and standard bulbs to a Corrado with just just uprated bulbs and the difference is neglegable! Brand new, nice clear lenses will also help hugely!

I'd also suggest a set of headlight lens protectors in the group buy thread that shawshankkid has arranged. Seen them on a Corrado last weekend and they're excellent quality.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your Corrado. It might take a while to iron out the dodgy bits but stick with it. When they're all sorted, Corrado's are tremendous fun :)

trust me, once you have given it a clean and a service you will know you have made the right decision! it looks so good clean just this winter weather makes keeping it so very hard! and as i said its been really hard to look after properly over the last few months due to my trip, so a service will do it good!

re: the temp sensor, heres what i was going to try:

''temperature sensor for coolant temp gauge and idle stabilisation (KR engine), Black single pin, part no. 049 919 501'' (thanks mic_VR) and hopefully this willl cure the problem!

and yes the headlights are shocking! didnt realise quite how bad until i drove my girlfirends polo tonight, which in comparison is amazing!

glad its gone to a good home!

enjoy!

Ah.. assumed it was a VR. If its a 1.8, its early headlights.. you can't buy lenses from VW any more :(

when i fitted an uprated loom to mine the difference was very noticeable, after i fitted the loom dipped beam was as bright as high beam before the loom was fitted.

I now run standard H4's for dipped beam and 180w H7's for high beam and they are more than bright enough :lol:

I can vouch for the early headlights not being very good. Is your instrument panel really dark as well? I love the little dimmer switch. "Oh right, I appear to have made it more dim that it was before. How about actually having some proper bulbs in there that actually enable me to see what speed I'm doing without straining my eyes through the darkness?"

Cheers for the advice guys 8) Thanks for that Steve. I'll get it servised asap at my local independent garage. He only charges £35 ph. Problem is there is always around a 3 week wait to book your car in :shock: He is good though 8) I didn't mean to diss the car Steve, hope you didn't see it that way. I just wasn't as excited driving the Corrado home as I was with the GT4. Maybe the lack of an HKS D/V chriping away was the problem :lol: :lol:

I am pleased with the car & it does look good sat in the driveway. There's not another Corrado around this way for miles, so it's nice driving something different from all the other hatchbacks on the road today. I always look after my motors, so I have no doubt in my mind that this one will be looked after too 8)

Once I give her a clean I'll post up some pictures.

Rich

Welcome to the forum & corrado ownership, on the subject of candles....erm i mean headlights & i can highly recommend Phillips Xtreme H4 bulbs, i have just replaced my osram silverstars which were supposed to be an improvement on standard bulbs anyway with the Philips bulbs & they are really fantastic & these are without the loom, so for about £25 they are definately worth a go :sunny:

Andy

Welcome to the forum & corrado ownership, on the subject of candles....erm i mean headlights & i can highly recommend Phillips Xtreme H4 bulbs, i have just replaced my osram silverstars which were supposed to be an improvement on standard bulbs anyway with the Philips bulbs & they are really fantastic & these are without the loom, so for about £25 they are definately worth a go :sunny:

Andy

May have to pinch that idea myself! 8)