Sign in to follow this  
yogiontour

Header tank boiling over

Well you shouldnt really open the cap when its hot. If its boiling over it could be an airlock in the system somewhere or possibly your thermostat not opening or worst case scenario the head gasket gone but i think you will know when thats gone. Mine used to boil over and i thought it was the head gasket, i replaced the thermostat and water pump etc and it still overflowed it just turned out to be a big arse air lock which was a pig to get out, had to let it overflow and keep refilling for ages until all the air was out and it stopped boiling over, hasnt done it since!

To check if the thermostat is opening when the car gets to 90 degrees and the first stage fan comes on feel your bottom rad hose (gingerly as the pipes get very hot) if its as hot as the top rad hose then its opening but if its just warm then its not opening.

Are you pipes rock hard? Mine were when mine had the airlock.

In a VR6, when the engine is warm...is it normal for the header tank to boil over if you open it?

the system is pressurised when hot, the cap should have a symbol on warning you not to attempt to open it! :shock:

I think its perfectly normal, when the engine is hot the water temperature may exceed 100 centigrade and not boil because its under pressure. When you open the header tank cap the pressure is released and the water boils very vigorously...

I have been having some real big cooling problems since i got this car...The system slowly looses water over a period of 2-3 weeks so I probally do need to change the thermostat and housing...A nice job for the weekend. I think whilst im down there ill do the coilpack and aux water pump as well....

I have owned this car for 12 weeks....In that time I have driven it for 4 haha I got bummed hard!!

In a VR6, when the engine is warm...is it normal for the header tank to boil over if you open it?

the system is pressurised when hot, the cap should have a symbol on warning you not to attempt to open it! :shock:

I don't play by the rules, I just get the job done 8) 8) 8) haha

I have some cooling problems at the moment -- seems to be a leak on or near the right hand side (from the front of the car) of the radiator -- losing coolant and small amounts of steam coming from under the bonnet...

looks like it might be new radiator time, hope it's just a hose though!

i just started the car to see whats what (Its been laid up in the car park at work for some time) idled funny for a minute, then i restarted. everything seemed fine but after another minute it died. Looked under the car and there is a small pool of oil seperate from a stream of water....I renewed the HG a few weeks ago...so now it looks like new engine time :(