Sign in to follow this  
harin

HELP: MOT FAILURE :(

Hey guys,

Its not been a good week for my VR6...had a bad rad leak early this week...car seems to have lost a lot of power too (when i put my foot down i hear revs but the car take a while to speed up!) and went to MOT my VR6 today and it failed. And to top it all off my mechanic has disappeared :(

Anyway enough moaning....i need your help on the reason of the MOT failure:

Nearside front upper macpherson strut has excessive movement in the upper support bearing assembly [2.5.B.1b]

Does anyone know what this means and what part i need to replace? Is it the strut mount which you can see from the engine bay? I think the pic below is only the bearing do i need the bushes too?

strutmounts_f05.gif[/attachment:2was89a1]

If it the strut mount how hard is it to replace and it there anywhere i can look for some advice? (I can't seem to find a haynes manual for the corrado...did they even make one??)

I have no choice but to do this myself this week so your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks again,

Harin

ye you will need the bush too. Not too hard to change. Done a mates in about an hour (both sides). Cant remember exactly what i dont but arb disconected from wishbone, buzz gun to undow strut top mount bolt then drop the whole lot down enough to get in to the top of the shocker and you can undoo the bush and change that and the bearing. A bit fiddly to do in place but can be done!!

Andy

Yea they had it jacked up...i checked myself again today...it did have more play then the other side...mostly when i moved the wheel up and down.

Cheers for the replies will have a go at changing them when the parts come in....will let you know how i get on!

Another quick question.....do i need spring clamps to do this? I'm getting different answers from different people. I've got a 95 Corrado VR6.

Cheers,

Harin

If you are taking the top mounts off,the safe answer is yes.

Mine failed it`s MOT too :(

On a foglight bulb and a bulging front brake flexi hose.

Not the end of the world :)

Its all part of Corrado ownership. :?

Bonding with your car :lol: :lol:

Cheers for the help lads...got it sorted eventually and in time for my re-test :)

Unfortunately the car is with the mechanics as i started getting some serious power loss last week! I'm just hoping its nothing serious cause all this work is eating into my suspension/wheels fund!

Harin