Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Alternator rebuild

After being made to feel sad by the online prices for alternators I've found, I was wondering if I could purchase bearings for a VR6 alternator somewhere? I can't afford for the car to go off the road at the moment, or I'd send the alt off to be rebuilt, I thought that If I could get hold of the bearings from somewhere then I could wack them in quickly one evening.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers.

The bearings have gone? Is it still making good voltage/current?

I asked a few Auto electricians about overhauling the VR6 alty a couple of years ago and they said they replace them as by the time they've rebuilt one, it comes to about the same amount!

You could go to a bearing supplier with your bearings and get them to match them up, but obviously you'd have to strip the thing first.

I paid £90 exchange 2 years ago for a new alt from VW, which I didn't think was too bad tbh...

My alternator recon cost a mere £60 but it was done by Rotating Electrics in Birmingham - not a lot of use from Winchester!

But I do think it's the best solution - some of the £150 replacements from motor factors aren't even Bosch parts.

Get one from a scrapper, take the bearings out, take to your local bearing supplier and get good quality replacements. Then rebuild your existing one as fast as you can.

Anyone know what other cars had identical alternators? 38a range rover perhaps?

Cheers,

--

Olly

don't know what the VR ones are like but the 16v and G60 Bosch alternators start to suffer from duff diodes after about 10 years old, this is not repairable as the diodes are part of a circuit board and the outer winding, so a genuine Bosch exchange from VW with it's (2yr?) warranty might be a good investment if you plan to keep the car for any length of time.

Got to agree with Kev, I've had nothing but trouble and expense with rebuilt alts and recon'd starters over the years...

VW exchange prices for new stuff aint bad at all - just stick it on an interest free CC