Sign in to follow this  
NomoreGT4

God damn sunroof jammed

I take it you have to take off the roof lining to get to the sunroof when it's jammed? The motor works as the sunroof moves a bit & then just gets stuck, so I'm guessing it's got something to do with the rails or sliders.

Rich

Welcome to Corrado ownership and common problem No:1. Many more to come mate you just need to get used to the quirks i like to call them.

Mine is the same and has been 2 years so im not having a dig.

You should be able to close it by holding the button to close and forcing it with your hand but it will most likely scratch the paint in the sunroof panel.

Nooo! Take your time doing it, by all means delay the mend til sunnier weather, but u can close it most of the time without forcing it too much. is it stuck in the rear slide position or in the tilt position? Let me know and i will let u know the best course of action. They are actually fixable with minimal cost most of the time, u just have to spend a bit of time working out the mechanism.

Tim

Hi guys,

Luckily, the sunroof is in the closed position. The motor works fine as I can hear it working & the sunroof actually moves when the switch is pressed as though it's about to open, but it's jammed somewhere, so I'm guessing it may be something to do with the runners? I'll have a look at the link that TimDoc posted up :D

After reading the link, I'm not even sure if my sunroof is a tilt only, or a tilt & slide sunroof :? as I've obviously not seen it working :lol: If it's any help mine is a J reg 1.8 16v

Rich

not sure whether there were any other sunroofs than the one i've described, but someone educate me if there were. TBH if it is in the closed position, i would leave it well alone until summer unless u have enough garage space to do it in. post some pics of the sunroof controls and ill let u know if they are different. Quick question, when u activate the motor, does the roof go kinda skiwiff? does it look like one side is OK and the other is not working?

Tim

not sure whether there were any other sunroofs than the one i've described, but someone educate me if there were. TBH if it is in the closed position, i would leave it well alone until summer unless u have enough garage space to do it in. post some pics of the sunroof controls and ill let u know if they are different. Quick question, when u activate the motor, does the roof go kinda skiwiff? does it look like one side is OK and the other is not working?

Tim

Yes Tim, it does look as though one side is working & the other side is not. It kind of goes skewiff as you say :lol:

Richard

sounds like one of the sliders that is attached to the wire running to the motor has snapped. It is the same as what happened to mine! Which side works and which doesnt as i might have the spare parts, but even with these parts you will prob have to buy a new rocker piece. Let me know. Tim

this is the mechanism that is on each side, back of the car is L and front is R

2-19a.jpg

the rocker is as named, normally this bit survives when the bit that i think is broken gets snapped, but the piece that it pivots on gets bent. This is the bit that you have to replace and costs about £35, this is also one of the pieces that slides along the track that the whole system runs along. The bit will have most probably caused all of these probs by braking is a bit that you cant see without completely dissassembling the unit, it is one of the three pieces that slides in the track. It is the only piece attached to the wire/bush thing that runs thru the motor, this is the piece below, and the pic below is this piece sticking out the end of the rear of the track that it runs in, you can also see the wire that the whole mechanism runs on.

cableassyresized1.jpg

Ideally u need to source a complete cassette from a scrappy or from ebay so u can nick the bits that have had it on yours

this is a possible alternative for parts

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-MK3-GTI-VR6-Tilt-Slide-Glass-Sunroof-Mint_W0QQitemZ270191769270QQihZ017QQcategoryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

anyway, if u need any more help and dont mind driving to the southwest then i dont mind giving you a hand on a saturday.

Tim