Sign in to follow this  
alpinewhite16v

Getting at the air filter - 16v 2.0l

Hi

Being used to a GOLF GTi MK2 - I'm having trouble accessing the air filter in my 16v C. It's got what looks like a fuel distributer system on top of it and it seems impossible to budge. Anyone got any ideas on how to gain access to the filter box to change the air filter?

While you're here - I've also had trouble getting the rotor off the dizzy - are they usually hard to get off?

cheers

You unclip the top half of the box from the bottom half, and the fuel lines are flexible enough that you can just lift up the whole metering head assembly and remove the air filter! :) Its not too hard to get at, at all.

The "fuel distributor" is the metering head to supply the injectors, you should be able to release the 3 or 4 clips holding the top to the bottom of the air box. you wont be able to lift it right off but should be able to remove and replace the filter.

The rotor arm is glued into place at the factory, get a pair of mole grips and crush it off being careful not to bend the stud.

Whatever you do, don't try to 'lever' the rotor arm off, or you'll probably dent the dizzy. Crushing's the way to go!