Sign in to follow this  
SpencerTramm

Has anyone thought of racing their Rado?

As some of you may know I compete in the VWDRC series in the V8 Corrado, but I was wondering how many people on here have ever considered getting involved in the Sportsman class with their road going versions? The VWDRC has loads of watercooled cars in it's classes but no Corrado's, just wondering why?

Any replies or questions about racing greatfully recieved.

Thanks

Spencer

Super Pro ET #1

Quantum Leap VW Corrado

8.60 @ 156mph

Well, in the Sportsman class, if your car is road legal (valid tax disk, MOT and Insurance) all you need is a race suit (about £120 at a guess), helmet (anywhere from £50 upwards), gloves (£20), race licence (£36 i think) join the VWDRC (£24) and then enter a race event which is usually about the £100 mark but for that you get 4 entry tickets for you and your crew/mates. If you go to events like Big Bang and Bug Jam it's CHEAPER to race than pay to get in! Plus inevitably you'll get more track time than the RWYBers at these shows.

Don't let the myth of "you have to attend all meetings" put anyone off because it's just that, a MYTH.

The VWDRC have lowered the price of an associate membership to £5 where you can get the club newsletter as well as attend the various VWDRC functions throughout the year, there's no better or indeed cheaper way to get introduced to Drag Racing.

Spencer

As some of you may know I compete in the VWDRC series in the V8 Corrado, but I was wondering how many people on here have ever considered getting involved in the Sportsman class with their road going versions? The VWDRC has loads of watercooled cars in it's classes but no Corrado's, just wondering why?

Any replies or questions about racing greatfully recieved.

Thanks

Spencer

Super Pro ET #1

Quantum Leap VW Corrado

8.60 @ 156mph

Bloody hell thats a good time, must admit having grown up near poddington I love the racing and I've done a few RWYB's but I'm not sure I could face racing my own car just as it's my only car and if it went bang I'd be up the proverbial without a paddle! :lol:

Where abouts in Cambridge you based? I'd love to have a look at/chat about these full on racers.

Mic

We're planning on entering a corrado next season, I've just got to re-read the VWDRC website to find out how to enter etc!

It's only 1/4 of a mile so it should hopefully make it to the end, unless it overheats while queuing for the start line :)