Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Wheel bearing change.. what bits do I need? (2.0 16v)

Hi!

I need to get the front wheel bearings changed on my Corrado ASAP so am getting it done at a local garage. Rather than risk getting GSF parts fitted again, I am going to buy all the bits needed from VAG. I've looked at ETKA and i'm not sure which bits I need to buy as a 'kit' to do each side - can anyone advise me?

It looks like the actual bearing, 2x spring clips and a few bolts... or is there more to it than that?

Ta :)

wouldve thought VW will do a rebuild kit with all the bits you need in, the certainly do for rear wheel bearings- you get a little box with the bearings, split pin, grease cap, grease seal etc. Might be worth giving your local parts dept a ring to check, mine are always really helpful tbh :)

Yep. Went to my local Stealer and they happened to have a pair of the bearing kits in stock. Were about 28 quid a side.

My car is like a VW parts bin at the minute as i've run out of space in the garage to put it all.. bits waiting to go on my car include a new radiator cowling, new coolant pipes, wheel bearings, and oil + filter change!

You get the suspension nuts but i would buy new bottom bolts plus the 3 small BJ bolts unless these were changed when we did the BJ's recently???

I know this is an old thread but didn't want to start a new one....I have just brought 2 x front wheel bearings from Volks-apart for my VR & the 2 boxes have different bits in them?? :?

Ive not even seen a bearing before so am a little unsure if what I have is correct. Can someone enlighten me pls.

BOX 1 =

1 x bearing

1 x black springy washer thing

BOX 2 =

1 x bearing

2 x black springy washer thing

1 x gold round nut with cog type part to it

1 x counter sunk screw with philips head

Sorry for no pics, but the missus has gone out with the camera. Oh & box 1 says on it wheel bearings & box 2 says wheel bearing kit......dont know if this has any relevants?

Any help would be much appriciated!!

Ta!

What make are the bearings?

If they are not SKF or FAG then take them bakc and buy genuine ones - nothing else lasts.

Box two isn't even complete by the way - you should also get the 2 nuts for the suspension with these and a small tube of grease.

mine came with the two big nuts for the suspension leg to hub and the nut for the hub to ball joint, as well as the hub nut of course.