Sign in to follow this  
Fluff

Had your head done?

Hey chaps, anyone out there had there VR6 cylinder head reconditioned/engine rebuilt in advance of serious problems....i.e before being forced to? I guess what I'm asking is what difference it made and whether anyone suffered any problems after it was done.....?? :?

Couldn't agree more Kev. The coolant level is dropping, very slowly and only by a tiny amount, but continually and there are no signs of any leaks. In a conversation with Vince at Stealth, he said that if I did want to do the timing chain, it would be cost effective to do the head then rather than wait ......and the car is approaching the time when the head gasket may need doing anyway.....still on it's original one....?? Hence I wondered what experiences people have had with this. My car was London based before I bought it, so probably has spent more time at 110oC than some.....?? Just a thought........ 8)

do it yourself, get a vr manual and some advice from here and tools from Halfords and off you go, still with lots of money in your pockets!

Chris

do it yourself, get a vr manual and some advice from here and tools from Halfords and off you go, still with lots of money in your pockets!

Chris

Yeah if you're reasonable with the spanners, I agree with Chris. Shame about the weather though (if you haven't got a garage) :?

I suppose the only thing you can't do yourself is press the new guides in, but you press the old ones out with a suitable drift though.

All in the pursuit of saving cash! It's far more rewarding doing it yourself anyway! And you can get the dremel out and do some creative work on the ports :lol:

Kev

Hi Fluff

Ive Had my corrado about 11mths and the first thing i had done when i bought it was a complete engine rebuild? anything that moved in the engine was replaced with new, total cost £1600 (worth every penny) to give you some idea.

Regards

Nigwell

Hey there Nigwell, thanks for that. Did you have the lower end done too then? Who did the work? I'm guessing that you haven't have any problems with it since.... Mine has only done 72K but I think it's gonna need doing soon.....

:shock:

Mine had the cylinder head rebuilt last year. It was before I got the car so I cant coment on the difference it made but it drives well now with no problems. The bill was about £800 or £900 but I think that included a new coil pack as well.

Hey there Nigwell, thanks for that. Did you have the lower end done too then? Who did the work? I'm guessing that you haven't have any problems with it since.... Mine has only done 72K but I think it's gonna need doing soon.....

:shock:

Just pull the plugs out mate and check for a uniform colour across all 6. If they're all the same colour, it's a good sign things are normal. They should all be grey with a light brown coating around the centre electrode. If one or more are lighter, the mix is too weak, if one or more are black and powdery, too rich. If one or more are wet with oil.....££££s.

Kev

Kev, wet is good!

Your girlie told me ;-)

Sorry mate :-D but Kev is right there however if the valve stem seals aren't seeling anymore it's not much of a problem and will run like that for years, usually at worst it'll be a head gasket change which ain't that bad, i'm sure you could find a good mate to help you in his drive or garage, just trying to help save you cash.

Chris

If she's normally home within 15 minutes, then she's probably been to Chris's ;)

Sorry mate :lol: