Sign in to follow this  
12 DEG BEN

high vr6 idle

In September I changed my cams from 268s to standard and since then my car has idled when up to temperature at 1250rpm. I have had the idle valve out to clean and swapped for a working spare I had but I have no reason to suspect this as the idle is rock sold 1250. When warming up its roughly 1000. I have tinkered with the throttle cable adjustment with no effect and am going to find a vag comer to tell me what the throttle angle is at rest. Have been through the system for leaks. Any ideas would be useful. Does the ecu need to be reset or something. I am back to a standard ecu also.

Throttle angle needs to be

Does the idle 'sound' like it's 1250rpm though, cause that is nearly double what it should be? It's not unheard of for rev counters to start buggering about.

Have you checked for air leaks? A split PCV breather hose is a favourite.

It does sound high . When the 268s were in I raise the idle slightly it try to cure the lumpy cam tickover by adjusting the stop to open the throttle a tiny amount and I believe I have reversed what I had done. Is the Pcv the head breather thing. If so that been replaced with new. Still have the charcoal filter and I have had a leak the before in a former car and it made the thing rough as hell. Thought the throttle should be 12 degrees? Also if this is out of angle would the idle valve compensate for this?