Sign in to follow this  
waynos

megasquirt help needed (NEW VIDEO ADDED!)

i havent looked at ms for a lttle while im a bit rusty. your pulsewidths look a tad high when you start so it maybe rich. from the log it seems that start nicely and as soon as it comes out cranking and onto your map it starts to die. Id try lowering you ve numbers around that idle area to see if it makes a difference. What firmware are you running?

I'll bear that in mind.

Code version is 2.883e i think from memory.

One thing I have noticed is that the map pressure dosn't seem to drop much once the engine starts.

Maybe my isv is stuck?!!

ok..

:oops:

I was labouring under the impression that g60 greens were low impedance items and so had megasquirt configured as such.

I have re-configured it and the car starts and idles indefinitly now.

Thanks for all your input so far wayne and mondy.

I have a few kinks to iron out.

:No vdo tach signal.(what was your fix wayne)

:Smooth out cold and warm starting

:Engine stumble when you blip the throttle etc

:Tune isv settings as it causes very high idle with it plugged in.(hope its not stuck open)

However its a huge step forward.

And its sunny today too. 8)

woop woop! well done mate , i thought that all vws used high impedance injectors - i may be wrong though. Are you back to using the g60 coil? your engine stumble will be down to your accel enrichments, a few minutes fiddling and you should be able to iron those out now problem(i use a combination of mapdot and tpsdot). As for the tach signal on mine it was a red wire (with a black trace i think?) that connected to the coil negative. i had a green wire connected at first! doh. im not even using any idle control at the moment and it seems to start and run fine

Are you back to using the g60 coil?

Nope.And I have tried three of them.

:shrug:

Probably a case of getting the dwell just right?!?!!

Just remember that when I took my tb off i never re-connected the vac hose for the carbon canister set up.

Doh.

Just re-connected it has improved the idle greatly,and no throttle stumble now.

:clap:

Will hook up laptop and see if I can refine the idle some more.

good stuff! its always the little things that cause the problems. If it stops raining i may take mine out for a bit of tunning.also gota fit my inpro lights after i have modified them slightly

so what engine are you running.

how did you lower compression,stacked gaskets,dished forged pistons..??

How much boost are you running at the mo?

bought the engine off a guy on here, it was a turbo technics engine bored out to 1900.the conrods were rebushed to lower compresion - done at stealth. think its runing around 10 psi at the moment - its seems more than enough for me at the moment! lol

bought the engine off a guy on here, it was a turbo technics engine bored out to 1900.the conrods were rebushed to lower compresion - done at stealth. think its runing around 10 psi at the moment - its seems more than enough for me at the moment! lol

yeah,that should keep you entertained for a while.

8)

went out in it about an hour ago, feels so good to finally be back on the road.All i need to do is turn my throttle screw in a bit as the idle is high as im not using any idle control, other than that all is good!

went out in it about an hour ago, feels so good to finally be back on the road.All i need to do is turn my throttle screw in a bit as the idle is high as im not using any idle control, other than that all is good!

My isv dosn't seem to like MS at all.

It just seems to open the isv right up no matter what pwm frequency or dutycycle i try.this causes the engine to raw to life at about 3k rpm :shock:

So at the moment i'm just using a bit of throttle to get it to start.

I'd much prefer to have the isv do that for me though :|

Are you gonna get an egt probe and guage?

Your engine could still knock when the weather gets warmer..

I know you probably don't want to dismantle anything and do anymore wiring(god i'm sick of soldering) but it may be worth considering for a FI engine.

i will get a gauge in the near future definatly, im tired of soldering too - thank god i dont have to do much more!

ive hooked it up again to see what the actual difference is with or without it as i had an idle of 2k without lol

ive hooked it up again to see what the actual difference is with or without it as i had an idle of 2k without lol

I would have thought that would have raised the idle further ?

Let us know how you get on.

I have been advised that the pb engine isv works better with MS so I have requested one from an acquaintance.

My engine is stumbling and going lean when I rev the engine.

Acceleration enrichment?

the stumble could be because your ve tables are not quite dialled in yet as im pretty sure the ae is calculated off the ve. So if you can id try and get the ve table as best it can be or you may end up going in circles. I have a bit of a stumble in mine but i still havent had the time to properly go out and tune it. It wasnt noticeable when driving.

EDIT: are you on the msefi forum? some of the people on there have a better knowledge than me lol

yeah,I seem to have got rid of the stumble by tuning my VE.

I want to drive it today so I can get access to other areas in the VE map.

I posted on the MS forum and they said exactly what you said.

Tune VE first or you will just end up chasing your tail.

I have put some basic numbers in my AE though,just to make it driveable.

Took for a spin around the block today.

chuffed.

:smug:

Lots more work to do but making progress.

Wayne or anyone else for that matter,one thing I have picked over the weekend is that the ignition value in basic settings isn't the actual value that you want the car to run at.

It is an offset that MS uses to try and obtain the table in your spark table.

using a loaned digital timing gun I found that the value had to be 30 degrees for my car.

This gave me a value at a particular rpm and map value that was inline with the value specified in my spark table.

I notice that you also are using 6 degrees.

You may want to get your timing checked so that you know that what MS is telling you is correct.If u have dont this already then just tell me to shut the F'up.

:)