Sign in to follow this  
waynos

megasquirt help needed (NEW VIDEO ADDED!)

right guuys i ned some help! im currently putting megasquirt 2 v3.0 on my 1.9 16v turbo corrado.just a low down on whats been done

installed new fuel rail with adjustable fuel pressure regulator and cossie blue injectors.

ive used the audi throttle body with tps and made the loom for that - still needs to be connected

ive mounted the iat sensor and made the loom - not connected yet.

i still need to run a wire to the coolant sensor but im not entirely sure which one it is.(ive also heard i need to input the resistance values into mega tune as it apparently comes calibrated for a gm sensor, do you know how i can do this?

injectors are wired up, on the megasquirt relay board there is 4 connections, two for injector bank1 and two for injector bank 2, which injector should go to which injector bank?

im also having a little trouble finding out how to hook up the hall sensor and ignition module to tghe megasquirt, does anyone have any diagrams at all?

i know it seems like a lot of questions, im just starting to get a bit frustrated as the car has been off road for so long now. i tried asking some other members on here but i got no reply.

any help would be appreciated

wayne

right guuys i ned some help! im currently putting megasquirt 2 v3.0 on my 1.9 16v turbo corrado.just a low down on whats been done

installed new fuel rail with adjustable fuel pressure regulator and cossie blue injectors.

ive used the audi throttle body with tps and made the loom for that - still needs to be connected

ive mounted the iat sensor and made the loom - not connected yet.

i still need to run a wire to the coolant sensor but im not entirely sure which one it is.(ive also heard i need to input the resistance values into mega tune as it apparently comes calibrated for a gm sensor, do you know how i can do this?

injectors are wired up, on the megasquirt relay board there is 4 connections, two for injector bank1 and two for injector bank 2, which injector should go to which injector bank?

im also having a little trouble finding out how to hook up the hall sensor and ignition module to tghe megasquirt, does anyone have any diagrams at all?

i know it seems like a lot of questions, im just starting to get a bit frustrated as the car has been off road for so long now. i tried asking some other members on here but i got no reply.

any help would be appreciated

wayne

Hi Wayne! I'm here!

Audi TB should connect pretty easily. You need a 0v-5v signal from closed to open throttle all wired from the MS connector. I'll sort you out some pin numbers when I get home tonight.

Coolant sensor is tricky, so many on the valver. One is for the ignition system, one if for the gauges and the one you need is left. Again I'll check when at home to find out some wire colours. Calibration is pretty easy, bowl of iced water is 0 degrees, dip the probe in, let it settle and measure the resistance. Boiling water is 100 degrees, dip the probe in and measure the resistance. Ideally you want a third point at ambient temp, use a thermometer for the temp. Put these numbers into MegaTune, sorted.

Same for IAT as above.

Injectors can be batch fired or alternate. All at once, or INJ1 then INJ2 then INJ1 etc. Wire them up so that the injectors are in firing order, eg 1342. Injector 1 connected to INJ1, Injector 3 connected to INJ2, injector 4 connected to INJ1, injector 2 connected to INJ2. But start off in batched injector mode in MegaTune to get it running. Also measure the injector coil resistance before you power anything up, you'll be fine if you have high impedance injectors (about 10 ohms), but low impedance need a little more setting up.

Let me look at the hall sensor. Are you running the dizzy still? or a 60 tooth wheel? The hall sensor will need a 1k pull-up resistor that the guy below talks about.

Hope this helps

Dave

PS This guy has done MS on a 16vt http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95048&highlight=megasquirt

PPS PM'd Mr Beige also, he's an MS man too!

Hi Wayne! I'm here!

Audi TB should connect pretty easily. You need a 0v-5v signal from closed to open throttle all wired from the MS connector. I'll sort you out some pin numbers when I get home tonight.

Coolant sensor is tricky, so many on the valver. One is for the ignition system, one if for the gauges and the one you need is left. Again I'll check when at home to find out some wire colours. Calibration is pretty easy, bowl of iced water is 0 degrees, dip the probe in, let it settle and measure the resistance. Boiling water is 100 degrees, dip the probe in and measure the resistance. Ideally you want a third point at ambient temp, use a thermometer for the temp. Put these numbers into MegaTune, sorted.

Same for IAT as above.

Injectors can be batch fired or alternate. All at once, or INJ1 then INJ2 then INJ1 etc. Wire them up so that the injectors are in firing order, eg 1342. Injector 1 connected to INJ1, Injector 3 connected to INJ2, injector 4 connected to INJ1, injector 2 connected to INJ2. But start off in batched injector mode in MegaTune to get it running. Also measure the injector coil resistance before you power anything up, you'll be fine if you have high impedance injectors (about 10 ohms), but low impedance need a little more setting up.

Let me look at the hall sensor. Are you running the dizzy still? or a 60 tooth wheel? The hall sensor will need a 1k pull-up resistor that the guy below talks about.

Hope this helps

Dave

PS This guy has done MS on a 16vt http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95048&highlight=megasquirt

PPS PM'd Mr Beige also, he's an MS man too!

Well, now that my name has been mentioned I better say something :lol:

The trigger wheel, if any, is likely to be a 36-1 welded on the alternator pulley, but going on what you said wayne, re the hall sensor, the trigger is likely to be from the hall sensor in the dizzy. As far as diagrams, I can't help you I'm afraid, as I was going to use MS for the spark as well using the trigger wheel and Ford EDIS module.

As far as the other stuff, CrazyDave has pretty much answered you q's

It migth be worth checking out this site go to "16v tuning" and also the MS forums.

Right the TPS sensor should be wired like this:

Pin 1 - GND - MS Pin 7

Pin 2 - +5V - MS Pin 26

Pin 3 - Signal - MS Pin 22

Pin 1 is marked on the body of the pot, but you'll have to look very closely to see it.

The temperature sensor for the ignition system is the one with the blue / white stripe, The one towards the back of the side of the head. Use this one and wire it to MS pin 21.

Inlet air temp needs wiring to MS pin 20.

Make sure you have a good ground back to MS pin 8 from the cylinder head or the sensors won't work correctly.

Hall effect trigger is connected like this:

Red / white - MS Pin 26

Brown / white - MS Pin 9

Grey / Green - MS Pin 24

The 1k pullup resistor will need fitting inside the MS box, but I need to dig out my box to look show you how.

Get yourself a wideband lambda if you haven't already or it'll be a nightmare to setup properly, with the wideband you can pretty much drive it around and it'll sort the fuelling out 90%. An Innovate LM-1 or LC-1 will do the trick.

Hope this helps a bit more.

Dave

wow thanks guys you sure made things a lot simpler. ive got the innovate lc1 wideband kit. how do you mean it will sort the fuelling? i thought it was a case of driving it ,datalog everything then go back and tinker a bit until you get it right? sorry if im talking nonesense

just another question about the iat sensor. crazy dave was saying for the coolant sensori can dip it in water at at various temps and get the reading which is a good idea. however my iat sensor is an open element type, (see pic) i wouldnt be able to dip that in water would i?

iatsensor.jpg

Hi Wayne,

No problem mate, be good to see how the 16vt runs with MS.

I'll dig out the NTC curves for the open element air temp sensor and post them a bit later. You just type the numbers into MegaTune and away you go.

MegaTune has an auto-mapping function. You hook up a wideband o2 sensor into MS and set auto-tune on, then go and drive around doing different conditions. MS will look at the wideband reading and correct for the condition the engine is currently in. You setup a target AFR table in MS, and when the engine is in that condition, if it's lean, MS will adjust the mixture to get the target table value (ie richen the mixture), and vica versa if its rich.

After about an hours driving it'll be about 90% tuned. You can't really do WOT this way but all the part throttle stuff is a doddle.

Dave

i didnt know that megatune could do that ! thats clever. so i dont need to bother about making a base map for it?

does it matter what iat sensor i use?will the values be the same? its froma vauxhall vectra or similar ( i think all vauxhalls have the same one)

i didnt know that megatune could do that ! thats clever. so i dont need to bother about making a base map for it?

does it matter what iat sensor i use?will the values be the same? its froma vauxhall vectra or similar ( i think all vauxhalls have the same one)

They are different, you'll need to find out the part number of the one you have to try and find out which NTC sensor it has, or you can apply a three point calibration as already mentioned above. The probe should have an insulating laquer over it to stop moisture changing the readings.

well i found out that the iat sensor is made by siemens. part number 5wk96061. dont know how i could find out which ntc sensor it has though

well i found out that the iat sensor is made by siemens. part number 5wk96061. dont know how i could find out which ntc sensor it has though

If you need help with sorting this out Wayne, send me the sensor in the post and I'll sort out the cal for you. Then you just need to type the numbers in.

i think ive cracked it now. i couldnt find any values on the net so what i did was froze the the iat in ice and used a thermometer witha probe and took a reading. then once that was done and it was all dry again i got a hairdryer, mounted the iat with thermometer probe directly behind it and took the readings at different temps and it seemed to work fine.

Am i right in thinking i can use the bosch values on easytherm for my coolant temp sensor? ive got a few readings for that using the same method as above and it gave similar results to the easy therm default bosch settings.

im so close now.the only thing im worried about is getting it to idle as im not using an isv. and im also worried about setting up the timing

Try it with the Bosch values, and check it with the probe you have.

The method for the iat cal sounds fine.

You'll have no trouble with the idle when it's warm, but you may have to hold onto the pedal a bit when cold. But after a minute or two of running it'll be fine.

As far as timing goes, I'd try and find somebody else who's done a valver map, it'll give you some good base figures. The MegaTune manual is very good, follow the advice to the letter, especially what to look out for with initial running. Take your time and keep it really steady until your sure it's not running lean or to much timing.

right everything is pretty much set upon the car now, im loving the way the innovate g3 air fuel gauge starts up! i just need to set the base timing which im a bit confused about.

i did some searching and found this

To set you distributor

First, in Megatune in the Codebase and outputs function, set LED18 to "irq trigger" and send to ECU.

1) Set the crank to TDC

2) Turn the distributor (opposite direction) just until middle LED turns OFF (sets the crank angle)

3) Make sure the rotor arm points towards the correct contact in the distributor cap

4) Tighten the distributor

5) Turn engine backwards until middle LED turns ON (should be almost immediately) and continue turning until it turns OFF again

6) Measure angle BTDC (+/- 10 degrees is good enough)

7) Enter measured angle in "Trigger angle"

8) Enter "Fixed angle" to 10 degrees

9) Start the engine

10) Adjust "Trigger angle" until the timing light is at 10 degrees

11) Set "Fixed angle" to -10

12) Start tuning

however i dont have the option to set my led18 to irq trigger.instead i have a option under tools called trigger wizard. my trigger offset is 75 and its asking me to match the number on screen with the timing light reading. i have no idea what its on about lol. any ideas?

Have you downloaded and flashed in the latest MSnExtra code?

Sounds like you've only got the standard code in the MS. That has the trigger offset adjustment that you describe.

Are you using the MS1 or MSII processor? Different versions of the Extra code for each processor.

Get the latest MSII code here http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=24600

And download the Megatune for the above version here http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=24609

You'll also have to follow the download instructions to get the MSnExtra code into your ECU.

If you have the MS1 then you'll need the earlier code, but I'd try to upgrade to the MSII if it was me, much better all round.

Hope this helps.

Dave

PS Must be getting close???

im running ms II, didnt know there was an extra code for it to be honest. is there much difference between that and the standard code?

if ichange over to the extra code will i be able to import my fuel spark and afr tables over? dont really fancy typing all those out again. it is really close now, this is all i have let to do!

i loaded on the ms2 extra 1.0.2 code but i still cant find any option for codebase and output so i can set that led

A few things have changed over the development of MS, so the setup is a bit different.

Have a look in here http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Gen_Ignition.htm#ignsets it explains the differences between how things used to work and how they are now.

Unfortunately the VR6 setup is quite different and its coilpack / wasted spark etc. But the manual seems pretty clear.

If your still having trouble, give me a shout and I'll have a good look and see if I can figure it out, might end up trying this out on my valver anyway at some point :)

I've just put all the new MegaTune on my machine here, so I'll have a look at whats changed in the last 6 months.

i was reading through that briefly and it even pictures the option to turn on the middle led for setting your dizzy up etc. yet i go onto my megatune and the option just isnt there lol. think thats where im being thrown. im gunna try to start the car tommorow night n see where i get

yea it was already set on advanced as default.ill try reinstaling megatune because it may be loading up my old version