Sign in to follow this  
ghee60

Carbon Roof

Im building a track car, and ive got a sunroof, so seems a carbon roof would solve 2 problems (1 having a sunroof and 2 saving weight) Question is who here has done it, what did it cost and wanna sell me a carbon skin? lol

Im thinking your going to be the first. Not sure the roof skin is going to save that much weight but the sunroof mechanism carries some. Id loose all the sunroof stuff and get a carbon sunroof panel for the whole. Thats loose sunroof, rails and the interior metalwork that holds it all in place. Would be much simpler. The whole roof done in Carbon would be good though.

the other option was to simply weld the roof shut and remove the mechanism, or get a non sunroof skin and swap it over.

Problem is im no good with carbon or fibreglass so was hoping someone had done it or knew where to get one from lol

If you weld the roof it will buckle with the heat. Bad enough welding holes in doors that have creases in them. Hole roof swap is the way to go.

ive got a friend who would weld it for me, hes recently done his E36 m3 and it went fine, he did tig weld it tho which welds at a lower temp than mig.

A roof skin swap would be the ideal way to do but I cant find a non sunroof skin anywhere, any tips finding one?

can you weld carbon fibre to car metal, (what ever it is) corrado is titanium isn't it? :lol:

i was wondering how the carbon would be fixed to the car which is steel , is it a bonding process , and titanium would be great light and strong can you imagine how much it would cost wow!!!

ive decided to be boring and am having the hole welded up by a local classic car restoration company.

The guy is going to use the original sunroof skin, weld a lip around the inside of the original sunroof so it overlaps with the roof (on the inside). Then hes going to weld that to the roof to fill the whole the he said he will backfill the gap with a bead of weld then grind it all flat so it dissappears. Hes done numerous similar jobs and never had a roof buckle (had a 70's porsche in having the same job done and looks spot on)

Anyway wish me luck lol

Me to..

i'm gutting the sunnie (tilts and slides if anyone is interested) and just using sikaflex to bond a carbon panel in and then some anodised allen bolts as retaining bolts.

There's a chap on ebay that quoted me about £100 for a panel.

HTH