Sign in to follow this  
G60SC_Stoney

VR6 wont start *fixed!*

i know this is a common problem on these engines, and i have a pretty good idea of whats wrong. the car starts and cuts out straight away. so is an immobiliser fault, either the key needs recoding or the transponder has failed. but as neither of my two keys will start the car it must be the reciever. My question is, where is this transponder reciever and how easy is it to remove and refit? a guide with a piccy or two would be helpful... 8)

Take the steering column plastic off and it's a plastic ring around the ignition barrel with a wire that follows the main loom under the dash. The wire connects to a block which is fixed to the front of the dash, it's just the other side of the plastic to your knee pretty much.

You'll soon find it. there's a little clip on the wire.

New transponder is about £35 from the dealer. This is what was showing up the engine start blocked by immobiliser fault when we scanned her before.

Try removing the connector and spraying with wd40 before replacing it, might help in the short term.

cool, ill try and wd40 it, but ill order a new one from the dealers as well. luckily i only broke down at work, and not miles away! i may give you a call later if i get stuck!

No worries.

You might need to take both the drivers side trays off, but it's no real hassle.

You'll need a couple of cable ties to replace the old ones you cut off.

Take the steering column plastic off and it's a plastic ring around the ignition barrel with a wire that follows the main loom under the dash. The wire connects to a block which is fixed to the front of the dash, it's just the other side of the plastic to your knee pretty much.

You'll soon find it. there's a little clip on the wire.

New transponder is about £35 from the dealer. This is what was showing up the engine start blocked by immobiliser fault when we scanned her before.

Try removing the connector and spraying with wd40 before replacing it, might help in the short term.

I have a spare transponder box if you need one?

just ordered one from vw, but wont be there until sometime next week (38.00 inc VAT).

ill take it, always good to have spares, and this seems to be a bit of a common problem with VRs from what ive read. While im at it, i dont suppose you have bits to do an OBDII conversion?? im thinking of giving the Toad a little project to do to earn some pocket money in the new year :D

It would be helpful if you could pick up the transponder for me toad (and any other bits, while you are there) ill pay you for your time....

just ordered one from vw, but wont be there until sometime next week (38.00 inc VAT).

ill take it, always good to have spares, and this seems to be a bit of a common problem with VRs from what ive read. While im at it, i dont suppose you have bits to do an OBDII conversion?? im thinking of giving the Toad a little project to do to earn some pocket money in the new year :D

It would be helpful if you could pick up the transponder for me toad (and any other bits, while you are there) ill pay you for your time....

Sounds like a good practice run for mine! Lol.

It's far from definite that I'm going down there, but I'll ring you if I am.

Hi

Check fuse 16

That is a good point to be fair.

It might not necessarily be fuse 16 though, it seems to move around a bit depending on the age of the car.

just come back from work, where the car is, checked all the fuses and they are all fine. im 99.9% sure its the transponder thingy. will get it all apart tommorrow and have a play with some WD40, may even be easier than that, but dont know until i have a look...

ok i started taking the lower trays off and the plastic housings around the steering column, and traced the wire back as far as i could, which was about 6 inches as its tied to the rest of the wiring!, untangled as much as possible and gave the wire a little pull, and tapped the transponder ring a few times with my hand, put the key in the ignition and wahay it works! :lol:

But did run like a bag of sh*t for a bit, but i presume thats because ive been cranking it over and the engine not starting? i left it running for a few minutes and went back to how she ran before.

I take it i dont need to go through any running in procedures now ive had all the fuses out?

also how smooth does everyone else VR6 sound? mine is a 'little' tappy but nothing to worry about yet, but sometimes feels like it has an occasional misfire, and doesnt run anything like my VR6 Highline Golf used to on idle, that used to be really smooth, whereas my corrado seems to have the odd shudder like its mis-firing?

yeah ive thought about the difference between OBDI and II and i cant see that the idle would be this rough, i mean its not terrible, but my VR6 Golf used to just hum on idle and sounded like a bee whereas my Corrado VR6 sounds more like my G60 with a lumpy cam sometimes! oh yeah i forgot to mention, it ticks over when fully warm at a smidge over 500RPM, the bottom of the needle is level with the top of the 500RPM marker, is this too low ?? maybe this is what is causing my lumpy idle ?

Not surprised its sounds rough then dan, mine on the aftermarket management idles from cold around there and sounds like a bag of spanners in the engine, but once warm idles around 900 sounding real good even with the piper 285 cam in and not lumpy and real smooth.

Has it always been like that or just since you got it running again, maybe look in the wiki for the ECU reset procedure and see if it relearns to idle properly, clean the plugs as if its been dumping loads of fuel in whilst you have been trying to start it up they could be choked up.

Glad she's running again.

also how smooth does everyone else VR6 sound? mine is a 'little' tappy but nothing to worry about yet, but sometimes feels like it has an occasional misfire, and doesnt run anything like my VR6 Highline Golf used to on idle, that used to be really smooth, whereas my corrado seems to have the odd shudder like its mis-firing?

I didn't think she sounded too bad when I saw it tbh. As far as idling goes, mine used to be really smooth but always had a slight misfire, not it's a fair bit more lumpy. I can't hear it misfire, but I can feel it through the car. I think it's down to the coil pack having a couple of small cracks, me being heavy handed with the plug leads, maybe new plugs needed, injectors that have covered 140k, bit of stodgy oil contamination in the inlet manifold etc. It irritates me too, but I'm living with it for the time being, when I change or clean all of the above I'll expect it to be a lot better, but know it won't be perfect.

At the end of the day idle isn't an issue, if it was farting when I put my foot down, then I'd be upset.