Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

I'm losing the will to continue.......

Think I'm going to stop keeping up with this thread as an Ibiza Cupra also sounds tempting?! :?

I know exactly how you feel skinnyman i've just bought a bora cos i'm just sick of the C breaking down, only question is do i keep it for fun or sell it on?

Sounds like you have already made your mind up but being a number cruncher by trade I naturally played with some numbers:

Option 1 Keep the Rado for 5 years

Lets say its worth £1200 now and £300 in 5 years time thats £900 cost to you

Lets say (having fixed many major problems) you have to spend £1250/year on further service/maintenance) = £6,250

Total Cost for Depreciation & Maintenance = £7,150

Option 2 Buy a £5,000 70,000 miler

Lets say its worth £1500 in 5 years (c15%/yr) cost to you £3,500

Lets say you spend £625/year average on service/repairs (probably less in early years but more in latter) = £3,125

Lost interest on the £4,000 up front net purchase cost and assuming you put the difference in maintenance costs into an account = c£800 over 5 years - much higher if you have to borrow the money.

Total Cost = £7,425

All guesswork but looks cheaper to keep the old car doesn't it? :o

Appreciate economics ain't the be all and end all for you but I don't think you are going to save much if anything by replacing it although its easy to see why it might feel like that. Like a few others here I've been lucky and had very reliable C's. I've always tried to get good uns to start with and get them serviced religously every 6 months which up to now has paid off.

Having said all that its hard to put a price on peace of mind that a newer car might buy you although you'd probably be gutted if something major did go wrong with it! :?