Sign in to follow this  
keithabc216v

non starter 2.016v

2.016v

cat blew changed cat and system changed lambada (new dizzy old leaking)

just before cat went car kept missing felt electrical not fuel

put it back together car runs for 5 min then cuts out keep turning it over pops and bangs but wont fire

can hear fuel pump, plugs wet with fuel, put spare plug in lead no spark ,tried coil lead same

leave it for a couple hours same 5 min running then stops

anyone got a first step idea

Hiya. Might be a non starter, but mine was similar and ended up being a temp sensor, but it was vr6. I'm not that clued up with the 2 litre and not sure if the temp sensors play such a major role as they do on the vr6. Good luck

Dic

If it starts and runs for a few minutes then dies because it has no spark, then it sounds like something in your ignition system is overheating and breaking down. Start with the cheap and easy stuff like dizzy cap and rotor arm if they are old. You say you have changed the dizzy, is it a brand new one, if not then the hall sender could be faulty, if you still have the old dizzy try swapping it back as a temporary measure. If that makes no difference then then next thing up the line is going to be the coil and ignition amplifier which I *think* has to be replaced as one unit. I can't see one listed on the gsf website so it may be a vw only part which could be expensive.

could be temp sensor but dont see why there would be no spark.....normally on a valver it justs goes really lumpy and over fuels all the time but stays running. could be idle control valve not working right if its from start up but doubtful again.

ignition coil/amp is a posibility but try dizzie/etc first could be a faulty one.

it was doing the same with old dizzy only changed it due to oil leak had it replaced cos it was only 5mths old, new cap and rotor as well

re the isv i suppose theres no way of bypassing this ?

You can't really bypass the isv, just swap for another one, but all it controls is the amount of air going into the engine at idle, it doesn't affect the spark.