Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Dilemma over Supercharger service?

Needing some advice.

I've got a 91 Corrado G60, which I've owned for about 18 months, the car has a second-hand supercharger allegedly fitted by the previous owner, so the mileage is completely unknown.

Anyway for peace of mind I would like to get a full service on my supercharger in the summer, (Crimbo, hols, bits on house to pay for unfortunately first), with also a polish and chip/pulley while its in pieces.

But where to take it to?

I know everyone will say G-Werks, but I live in South Yorkshire so this means a very long trek, couple of days stay while the work is done and also if anything does go wrong a very long trek back to get anything checked or replaced, (plus cost of travel, B&B, etc). Jabbasport are closer, but no-one seems to rate them for G60's.

Any help or advice appreciated. :(

Hey Jay2,

How about removing your charger and posting it to G-Werks? Will save you a lot of time, and a little money (as Daz won't have to charge you for its removal or refitting :wink:)

I'm sure there are other places that will do a good job of checking and refurbing your charger, but can't think of many - got my first G60 done at Jabba back in 2001 I think, but G-Werks did my new G60 last summer. Storm Developments http://www.stormdevelopments.co.uk/g-lader-refurbishment.html also do G60 refurbs but are not that much closer, being based in Reading...

You'll have to live without the C for a week or so if you go the postal route, but I assume it's not your only car?

Of course, you couldn't easily get the chip and pulley done remotely! But if it's peace of mind regarding the state of the seals etc. that you're after, and you can't afford the time and money to come all the way down to the coast for a couple of days, it might be the best option.

Good luck with getting it sorted :)

I would recommend taking the charger off yourself and shipping it to G-Werks. It's not a difficult to job to do yourself (removing and refitting it) as long as you can handle a spanner. it is even possible to run the car without the charger, but you need a different belt obviously. If you are getting it chipped as well, then ship them down the ECU as well. Again that is easy enough to remove and refit yourself.

Yeah, it might sound crazy mate but G-Werks are the only place that you can guarantee a decent job - and they also have the reputation that carries weight when it comes to re-selling your car (i.e a g60 with a g-werks serviced charger will sell easier than a g60 with a jabbasport charger)

Send it down there, you may even have it back within a week all done.

Can't go wrong with either G-Werks or JMR, both offer quick turnarounds if you want to remove and send to them, I've had personal experience of Jabba workmanship and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable having a charger rebuilt by them

at least if you drive down the charger will be nearly run in by the time you're back.. 8)

Good point! It's hard work driving the car 'gently' while the new seals bed down - too tempting to give it some beans, especially if you've gone the chip and pulley route 8)

So, the fewer trips before it's ready, the better! :wink: And like the man said, it would nearly be done by the time you get home! :D