Sign in to follow this  
__Andy__

power steering pump squealing....

my power steering pump is squealing like a lil piggy, the problem looks to be that the pulley is slipping when turning the steering wheel.

is this just a tighten up job or do i need to replace anything? i do have a replacement pump but the pulley on it is smaller then my existing one.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated... cheers andy

if it's whining rather than a high pitched squeek, then it may well be the pressure valve inside has stuck and the pump is constantly pumping pressure to the rack rather than only when demanded by the rack, best get sorted asap or the pressure hose will start leaking at the flexi hose section above the gearbox.

Sometimes removing and cleaning the valve and it's tiny gauze filter will sort it out and changing the fluid, twice if really mucky, the valve requires the pressure hose to be remove from the pump first, then the two part valve and it's spring can be unscrewed.

If the pulley on your replacement pump is a different size then chances are it's from a 2.0 16v and the pump driveshaft length will be wrong for yours.

You could change your PAS belt whilst down thar, as well as giving it some more hydraulic oil and a good bleeding - when changing my pump, this made the squeal alot quieter.

Good thing you noticed the 2 different steering pumps, It isn't fun spending hours fiddling underneath the car removing b@stard bolts only to find that the pulleys dont' align (d'oh!), then having to take it off again

ok guys thanks very much for your help. wil check it out asap.

one more thing to mention is that the car leaks power steering fluid, quite a bit aswell. theres no sign of it coming from the pump itself so any idea where it could be leaking from, looking back through the history this isnt a new problem. i dont think it has ever been fixed!!

whats the worst guys and should my wallet expect to take another beating? :(

Quite interested in this also, mine leaks very very very slowly , as if it was 1 drip a night - Have yet to sort it out tho as it isn't on the top of my priorities.

I heard that getting a new rack is very costly, but i'm not sure how much one would set us back :(

Use your door! Open your mind!

Quite interested in this also, mine leaks very very very slowly , as if it was 1 drip a night - Have yet to sort it out tho as it isn't on the top of my priorities.

I heard that getting a new rack is very costly, but i'm not sure how much one would set us back :(

Use your door! Open your mind!

' put those firey biscuits away! '

my dad mentioned it could be the rack, i sincerely hope not as if it is really costly it could flaw the whole project :(

If the seals inside the rack go the track rod boots fill up with PS fluid so you wont see it escaping, the pumps rarely seem to leak themselves, it's usually the pressure hose, a corroded rigid line on the outside of the rack or the internal pressure seals in the rack.

If the seals inside the rack go the track rod boots fill up with PS fluid so you wont see it escaping, the pumps rarely seem to leak themselves, it's usually the pressure hose, a corroded rigid line on the outside of the rack or the internal pressure seals in the rack.

ok will check it out. out of intrest how much would a new rack cost?

from VW, I'd sit down and then give them a call, upwards of 400 quid I think, maybe quite a bit more. Best bet is a mk3 or seat ibiza rack second hand, a vr6 golf one, mk3 GTI or 16v, Ibiza 16v, all the same ratio rack, just need a universal joint from the bottom of the column to go with it as the early corrados have a 36 spline input instead of the later 22. You need to fit the shorter 16v track rods to a mk3 rack that's the only other thing.

You can get recon racks from various suppliers for around 150 to 200 quid but their reliability is questionable, I got a prefectly sound mk3 rack for 40 quid.

from VW, I'd sit down and then give them a call, upwards of 400 quid I think, maybe quite a bit more. Best bet is a mk3 or seat ibiza rack second hand, a vr6 golf one, mk3 GTI or 16v, Ibiza 16v, all the same ratio rack, just need a universal joint from the bottom of the column to go with it as the early corrados have a 36 spline input instead of the later 22. You need to fit the shorter 16v track rods to a mk3 rack that's the only other thing.

You can get recon racks from various suppliers for around 150 to 200 quid but their reliability is questionable, I got a prefectly sound mk3 rack for 40 quid.

you cetainly know your stuff, much appreciated thankyou if i get any further probs then is it kool to drop you a line for some advice?

andy

no worries, just pm me, had my valver for years and know most of the nuts and bolts now lol

thats awesome, thanks very much. am sure ill be in touch soon....

so are the VR6 and valver rado racks the same? I have a vr6 golf rack in my garage at the moment, will that fit my valver rado? Cos mine is leaking as well!!!!

that's exactly what I bought, a golf vr6 rack, it's listed as the same part number as the corrado VR rack and next to my 16v rack it's exactly the same, just need to screw the 16v track rods into it instead of the Vr plus-axle ones that are longer. If you have a pre '92 corrado 16v or G60 you'll need the later 22 spline UJ to go with the later/VR rack.