Sign in to follow this  
C. Will Corrado G60 2

stage 3 VF-engineering, what next?

As it's the start of a new year and the C is in need of a little TLC I thought I'd upgrade a few bits to make sure I get that 300+BHP out of my stage 3 vf-engineering charger.

Here's what I'm thinking of buying, is there anything else I should be thinking of?

SP Spark Plug Wires VR6 Short Runner Intake - $135.00

SP 263 VR6 Cams - $375.00

Steel gasket and reusable spacer to lower compression to 9:1 - 12v - $195.00 (Is this the right compression?)

13R oil cooler - £60

Cheers

For the boost you're running Will, 9:1 is perfect 8)

Shaun and someone called 'Bobbi' (don't know his forum name) have almost identical setups and they both make 337hp :-

Schimmel intake

Schimmel Chargecooler

12psi V9

9:1 Compression

In addition, Shaun has the Emerald ECU (mapped by JKM in Southampton) and SP 263 cams and 2.5" exhaust. His torque is a bit higher than Bobbi's. They were safe on the timing and I reckon if JKM had gone 'balls out' on his map, he'd be pushing 345-350hp.

I ran 12psi on my V9 on OBD2 with no intercooling and stock 10:1 compression and that made 325hp.....but the torque was quite low though.

You'll EASILY break 300 mate 8)

Shaun and someone called 'Bobbi' (don't know his forum name) have almost identical setups and they both make 337hp :-

Schimmel intake

Schimmel Chargecooler

12psi V9

In addition, Shaun has the Emerald ECU (mapped by JKM in Southampton) and SP 263 cams and 2.5" exhaust. His torque is a bit higher than Bobbi's. They were safe on the timing and I reckon if JKM had gone 'balls out' on his map, he'd be pushing 345-350hp.

I ran 12psi on my V9 on OBD2 with no intercooling and stock 10:1 compression and that made 325hp.....but the torque was quite low though.

The figures I made earlier this year were

BHP 296.5 @ 6241

Torque 253.2 @ 6068

I'm running a FMIC not a chargeCooler which is one of my problems.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfpower.jpg[/attachment:266dd2l3]

torque.jpg[/attachment:266dd2l3]

The torque seems low and the car drives like a normal VR6 under 3,500 rpm, which is crap to be honset!

I'm looking to increase torque lower down the revs, hopefully the 263 cam will help and increase the overall BHP to 320+BHP.

Very nice graphs 8)

The reason it's like a normal VR6 below 3500rpm is because the Vortech V9 is not a positive displacement supercharger. Quite a few centrifugal chargers are like that, but the Rotrex's spool sooner as they have a much better gearbox system.

The only way to get your torque where you want it is with a turbo, Rotrex or some clever induction / Schrick etc.......none are cheap options unfortunately!

Very nice graphs 8)

The reason it's like a normal VR6 below 3500rpm is because the Vortech V9 is not a positive displacement supercharger. Quite a few centrifugal chargers are like that, but the Rotrex's spool sooner as they have a much better gearbox system.

The only way to get your torque where you want it is with a turbo, Rotrex or some clever induction / Schrick etc.......none are cheap options unfortunately!

Thought about turbo but I don't really want to head down that road (yet). 340BHP is fine for me I just want it to be reliable and safe. Thanks for the info. Hopefully have the cams etc on for the RR day.

Your car sounds nuts, through what I've read that is. Good luck with getting it up and running smoothly.

Schimmel intake

Schimmel Chargecooler

12psi V9

Your rite kev mine is running safe, but feels good. Think mite let vince have a play with mine :lol:

Will, Would defo go for the SP cams, one of the best things you could do. 9:1 is what im running its perfect. im making 337bhp & 285lbft :D

The torque seems low and the car drives like a normal VR6 under 3,500 rpm, which is crap to be honset!

Change the gearbox final drive to 3.68 to improve acceleration and you will see 3500rpm a lot quicker through each gear

Thought about turbo but I don't really want to head down that road (yet). 340BHP is fine for me I just want it to be reliable and safe. Thanks for the info. Hopefully have the cams etc on for the RR day.

Your car sounds nuts, through what I've read that is. Good luck with getting it up and running smoothly.

Thanks mate. I'll take you out for a spin in mine at the rolling road day and you can get a feel for turbos.

B5VWC is right, you need the 3.68 final drive.... and you Shaun ;-)

Thanks mate. I'll take you out for a spin in mine at the rolling road day and you can get a feel for turbos.

B5VWC is right, you need the 3.68 final drive.... and you Shaun ;-)

Kev Definitely up for a spin at the RR day, I know what will happen though (wallet empting). How do I go about changing the final drive to 3.68. Where do I get it from?

Shaun Very nice figures, if I can get near yours I'll be very happy. Are you going to the RR day?

3.68 final drive is about £200 new from VW and it's the G60 ratio. Standard VR ratio is 3.39.

I got mine s/hand from Vince at stealth as has loads of gearbox parts laying around the shop. Cost me £50. You should be able to find one mate, or even a complete G60 02A box if need be.

It's a box off job I'm afraid Will, so a good time to do the clutch (uprated?), chains if not done already, quaife LSD and replace any worn synchros and bearings.

It's defo worth it as it makes the engine feel so much alive in the lower revs and 5th gear at 80mph places the engine the torque band quite nicely - 3500rpm.

3.68 final drive is about £200 new from VW and it's the G60 ratio. Standard VR ratio is 3.39.

I got mine s/hand from Vince at stealth as has loads of gearbox parts laying around the shop. Cost me £50. You should be able to find one mate, or even a complete G60 02A box if need be.

It's a box off job I'm afraid Will, so a good time to do the clutch (uprated?), chains if not done already, quaife LSD and replace any worn synchros and bearings.

It's defo worth it as it makes the engine feel so much alive in the lower revs and 5th gear at 80mph places the engine the torque band quite nicely - 3500rpm.

Dam, I sold my G60 box with my old engine!!!! :(

I put a new clutch (standard) in last January when I installed the new engine amd also have a Quaife LSD. Sounds like a good mod so will look out for a 3.68 final drive and add it to the list (which just keeps growing).

Thanks for the info.

@ Cheesewire

What gear speeds do you get with the 3.68 final drive on a VR gearset, as you may know i am looking into boxes and was going to use the VR set in my box but not sure if that also means a VR final drive or G60.

In my box now i get 80mph at 3200rpm and it seems a step backwards to me as im looking to make the gears longer as its uselss at the moment in 1st and 2nd just way too short.

Sorry to go off topic

I can't rember off hand chap and I deleted the Quaife Gearcalc off my PC too. Doh!

I get 80mph at 3500rpm. Stock VR6 sees 90mph at the same rpm.

I can't get much over 150 though, if at all. The Gearcalc reckoned 156 @ 7000rpm, but I seem to hit the limiter in 5th at an indicated 145!

Oh and I need 3rd to hit 60 IIRC, so no use for 1/4 mile sprints.

If you have the G60 box still, then yes, your 1st and 2nd will be way too short. I believe a lot of G60 boys fit the VR6 1st and 2nd and keep the rest standard?

So no use to me then as i still need 3rd for 60 and i want 2nd for the sprinting, but still it must be quite like mine now how yours is and with 400bhp how can you say its better, dont you just sit there spinning.

You say it feels quicker but are you actually quicker cos if you spend less time changing and changing at a point where you wont wheelspin as easily then surely your going to be quicker, or is that what you know already by saying its no good for sprinting.