Sign in to follow this  
grimmy

A little advice needed - 4 speakers -> 2 channel amp

I've been slowly upgrading my sound system as and when i can afford it, because none of the standard stuff was working at all when i bought the car.

I have some components up front running off a genesis stereo 100 amp. Then i got an old JBl gt-3 in the boot running off an alpine 1200. This all sounds pretty acceptable but i'm lacking some punch and mid range. Can i just slap some 6x4's in the shelf supports and run them off the genesis amp too? Or should i sell the genesis and buy a 4 channel amp.

Thanks for any advice.

You need a 4 channel amp or 2 2 channel amps mate and adding the 6 x 4 wont give any more punch it will just add rear fill to the car.

I suspect you are running the standard door pod speaker size of 5 1/2", best to upgrade to larger speakers for more punch in audioscape pods with the doors sound deadened.

If you need another 2 vhannel amp i have a JL Audio 300/2 for sale, PM me if your interested.

What components do you have in the front? Are you using the standard door pods or Audioscape (type) ones? Have you used any sort of sound deadening on the doors? I hada set of Focal 6 inch components and Audioscape pods with sound deadening (Dynamat type) on the outer and inner door skins, with a vent through where the spears fit. Mid and midbass was superb, as it used the door cavity as a (almost) sealed enclosure. WorKed a treat!

I'm just using some Infinity components up front in the standard door pods with no sound deadening. I can't really afford to go for audiscope door pods and focal speakers at the moment as i have lots of money to spend on my engine, i'm in the process of making a post about that too :(

I'm entreagued to know if adding some sound deadening matting to the door would improve the sound. Would it be worth the effort?

I do need to get some speakers in the rear of the car to give it a more balanced feel. But i don't think i have the room to fit yet another amp in because i use the boot to put shopping and skateboards in :oops: I'd have to sell my 2 channel for a four channel, and i'm quite attached to the genesis range.

I remember reading that you shouldn't really have 6x9's on the parcel shelf if you have a sub in the boot because they're sort of battling against each other or something. Would it be a better option to stick with some hidden 6x4's in the shelf supports? I'm not too keen on hacking my parcel shelf apart and displaying some fancy speakers because i had my last car broken into outside my house and they robbed my entire sound system.

Yes they can battle with each other so its a no on that front and you full stop do not need rear speakers as you want to create a wide sound stage in front of you, by adding rear speakers you will move the sound backwards, basically aiming to get the sound coming from the end of the bonnet, the hardest part is to get the sub sounding like its firing from there.

Save your money to upgrade the front to a better spec rather than trying to fill all the car with music as at the end of the day where do you sit....... in the front so make it good there.

Thanks for the advice. I think i'll start saving for some audioscape door pods and focal speakers. But that will have to be a sideline to the engine problems fund.

Thanks for the advice. I think i'll start saving for some audioscape door pods and focal speakers. But that will have to be a sideline to the engine problems fund.

Before you start swapping stuff about try getting the set up right. Have you checked your speakers in and out of phase? If not have a listen to a specific track you know well in yoru car, then go to one of hte crossovers and swap the +ve and -ve wires for the mid bass over, only do this on one crossover, listen again. If it sounds better, leave it as is, if its worse, swap it back, do the same for the tweeter.

Second, are you mids mounted securely? If the speaker can move about its not going to make any mid bass.

Third, get yourself some sound deadening. Even if you do upgrade your speakers in time, money on deadening is never wasted and WILL make a significant improvement to your sound. Second skin is very good and there liquid deadeners are easier to apply to tricky areas than mats. You dont need to cover the entire door to get an improvement, but the more you do, the better it gets.

There is an old rule in car hifi, the sound is 10% equipment, 90% installation. You can get even cheap kit to sound very very good by installing and setting it up well.

Mark

Two words.............SOUND DEADENING!!!!! If you want your system to sound right the more sound deadening material the better. It makes a much bigger difference than buying more expensive components. In fact cheaper components with sound deadening material will sound much better than expensive components without it. Personally I would use rubberized undercoating from spray cans wich can be purchased at any auto parts store. Remove your door cards, mask off the door mechanisms and spray everything with the stuff, then spray the backside of the door cards allow to dry and reassemble everything. This will make a HUGE improvement in sound quality and as an added bonus when you close your doors they will sound as if they are late model mercedes doors. If it were me I would do the same treatment to the rest of the car. Rear panels, under the carpeting, the rear hatch, trunk floor, and under the rear seat. Literaly do everything and the sound quality with what you have will blow your mind. REALLY!! But thats not the best part. The best part is that your Corrado will seam as solid as a Mercedes Im not kidding at all its really that good. You could always use specific sound deadening material but in my experience the rubberized undercoating works almost as good and is much cheaper. DO IT!! You will thank me.. :D I did this to the biggest rattletrap 1986 mk2 GTI that I had and it was better than a new car when I was done 8)

It makes a much bigger difference than buying more expensive components. In fact cheaper components with sound deadening material will sound much better than expensive components without it.

Totally agree! I was only saying which speakers I had earlier. Its all about how well they are fitted. If you consider a home audio speaker. They are fitted in sealed/ported enclosures, to provide mid and midbass, and also to remove any unwanted frequencies by controlling how the sound is dispersed behind the driver. You want to try and recreate that enclosure as well as you can in a car.

I remember seeing an Alfa Spider that had 5 1/4" components mounted in some custom enclosures, where the enclosure ran from the front kick well corners down along the side of the seat and to the back. It sounded like there was a sub in the car! Two poxy drivers and a 2 channel amp, it sounded awesome!

RIGHT! This weekend i'll try swapping the wires over on the cross overs. Regretting sticking them behind the dash now... Also i'll get some of this rubber undercoat in a can if its as good as the fella says. Sounds easy enough to do. But how easy is it to remove?

I feel all motivated to get at it now but its dark and wet :/

I've purchased some dynamat to do the doors, they do a door kit which was on offer in my local car audio place. But i'm going to nip out to b&q later to find the cheap alternative to compare and to do the boot. You don't get much dynamat for your money!