Sign in to follow this  
just_say_meth

Intercooler cleaning?!

Hi folks looking for some advice, picked up a used intercooler last night and it has some remains of a grenaded charger left in it, apex seals,small fragments of charger :( I have got all the major stuff out and there isn't anything at the outlet end.

So is there anyway to flush any smaller particles out? if so what can i use to do this?

Also is there any risk with using this intercooler?

TIA

Andy

Dont know the best way to clean it but so long as you 100% get all the debris from the grenaded charger out it will be ok to use.

The smaller bits will be stuck to the inside with all the oil :-( you will need to leave it

to soak in warm water with plenty of washing up liquid then get the hose on it that

should clean it all out :-)

Cheers guys :D , i'll have to give it a bash, fished out everything i could reach but was generally worried about the smaller particles!!

DanVW- Is it ok to wash out the intercooler? obviously providing its dried out properly :lol:

Yep it will be fine, provided as you say its dried properly :)

While you have it off have you not thought of fitting a FMIC?

Check out THS performance I am planning to fit either a Type 1 or 2 not decided yet 8)

http://www.thsperformance.co.uk/cgi-bin ... PR=-1&TB=A

Cheers

Dan

Yeah been thinking about it a while :lol: so bought this

326408082a6598189912b251297040l.jpg

Its a rallye intercooler, just a trial fit but shouldn't need too much work to get it in :D :D

The THS coolers sound good, never came across them when i was looking before.

Cheers dan :thumbleft:

usually best to wash them out with petrol, it degreases much better than soapy water, and it doesn't matter so much if any gets trapped.....

usually best to wash them out with petrol, it degreases much better than soapy water, and it doesn't matter so much if any gets trapped.....

Cheers kip sounds like a good idea :D

Ive used engine degreaser or petrol for many years will no ill affects and ive used ths to buy my cooler at good prices me thinks.

Thanks mate, going to give both a try when i get a chance :D does your cooler sit infront of the slam panel or have you removed the lower leg?!

Ive used engine degreaser or petrol for many years will no ill affects and ive used ths to buy my cooler at good prices me thinks.

Thanks mate, going to give both a try when i get a chance :D does your cooler sit infront of the slam panel or have you removed the lower leg?![/quote:1j478rtm]

Front bumper iron was cut out and part of the slam pannel centre leg and the tow eye with bracket :shock:

slampanelsupport.jpg

Frontviewofcoolerwithbumperbarcut.jpg

but this was on a VR mate.

for more pic's go to http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/ ... ?start=all

Thanks mate, going to give both a try when i get a chance :D does your cooler sit infront of the slam panel or have you removed the lower leg?![/quote:3lrgb8yq]

Front bumper iron was cut out and part of the slam pannel centre leg and the tow eye with bracket :shock:

but this was on a VR mate.

for more pic's go to http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h278/ ... ?start=all[/quote:3lrgb8yq]

Nice :D how do you get on with the towing eye removed? been thinking about just taking the whole bracket off but a bit weery incase the dreaded happens and i have to get towed/winched!! :?

Anyone know which is the best fitting THS I/C for the Corrado with minimal cutting? Any luck finding that guide BTW?

Anyone know which is the best fitting THS I/C for the Corrado with minimal cutting? Any luck finding that guide BTW?

:lol: is it G60/16v or VR6? no matter which cooler you fit there is always allot of cutting...

:lol: is it G60/16v or VR6? no matter which cooler you fit there is always allot of cutting...[/quote:2i1x98q6]

Your not wrong mate!! started taking the towing eye off tonight and i've been through 2 cutting discs and i'm nowhere near done :lol:

How far did you take yours back? right to the chassis leg, for a clean look?

Loads more room on the G60 as the rad sits futher back,so you could get one inbetween the bumber bar and rad...just :lol:

As for mine ,i held nothing back and took most of it away ! :lol: :shock: