Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

Door membranes?

My Corrado has a pretty annoying condensation problem (which from reading old posts on here isn't uncommon) so I'm going through the obvious bits first. I noticed the other week when I had my door cards off that there were NO door membranes whatsoever, which I'm thinking isn't quite right!

So I'm going to get some good thick waterproof stuff and make my own - has anyone done this, and if so where did you get the sheet plastic stuff from? Also what's the best way of fixing it to the door?

cut up a thick poly rubble bag and used double sided carpet tap when i did this on an old astra i had. never let a drop of water in and stayed stuck for the 3 years i had it . The black stuff that sticks my corrado poly on get's every where when you peel it back but it does re-stick again.

I'm not sure that's the right stuff is it? I think that more of a felt material. If you read installation tips it mentions glue and such, wonder if they post to uk? The stuff for doorcard wants to be the self adhesive sheets...pauses for a search on T'internet....

This stuff looks a good price depending on postage

http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/soundproof_pl.htm

More felt stuff

http://www.tradepriced.co.uk/car_carpet.html

Edit: Should have written Dynamat with an 'A' not 'O', my mistake above :oops:

currently doing the door membranes/sound proofing on my passat- i got a pack of 10 rubble bags from B+Q for about £2.50, and instead of dynamat i picked up a roll of flashing tape- really sticky bituminous stuff with a foil backing meant for the edges of roofs i think. Got a 6" x 10m roll for about £7. Might have to go to one of those huge warehouse B+Q's (or wickes) tho as the smaller ones dont seem to have the flashing strip.

Its a bit thinner than dynamat, but seems to work just as well and is loads cheaper!

Yeah asked the gf to get me some rubble sacks at the supermarket this weekend, she came back with 3 packs of them! I said I only actually need 2. Bless her! :D

My windows fog up too as my carpets are wet. Its not a solution to the problem but Ive used an anti fog liquid on the windows and it helps a lot. Its by the rain x people.

Or you could Dynomat the entire door and improve your tunes at the same time 8)

Mine are Extreme Dynamatted with 1 bulk kit between the 2 front doors and Source where i take my car for stereo work re fitted the door membranes.

My windows fog up too as my carpets are wet. Its not a solution to the problem but Ive used an anti fog liquid on the windows and it helps a lot. Its by the rain x people.

Have you really had success with the RainX stuff? I tried it and it did absolutely nothing!

Are you the guy that used it on the outside and not the inside obviously with the 2 diff types and got confused somewhere along the lines.

Nope, I bought the outside stuff and used it on the outside before I realised they did one for the inside as well - got some of that and tried it and it did nowt!

The outside stuff (rain repellant) is great, the inside stuff (Anti-Fog) I've never had any luck with at all.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the Rain-X line of stuff. I know my dad was greatly disappointed with the anti-fog crap.

Regarding the door membrane, when you get a jacket from the dry cleaners, it usually comes in big plastic bag. I just chopped that into two and then further tailored each side. Stuck it on with some double sticky tape and voila!

:lol:

Regarding the door membrane, when you get a jacket from the dry cleaners, it usually comes in big plastic bag. I just chopped that into two and then further tailored each side. Stuck it on with some double sticky tape and voila!

:lol:

I can highly recommend the poly bags IKEA matresses come in :lol:

but you'll need something more waterproof than double sided sticky tape

Where can you get that mega sticky mastic from??

Must be available somewhere.

Still thinking of trying some of that T-60 sound barrier stuff from my previous link. It sounds much more flexible than Dynamat and cheaper, must check delivery prices!

I've got a tube of some at home, will get the details of it, comes in a tube like silicone sealant but metal for some reason, I'm assured by the motor factors that traced some down for me specially it will stick to anything.

If you go to a dealer and ask for some new membranes you'll find that the current part number for them (for Mk2 Golfs anyway, presumably the same for C's as the membranes are discontinued for both model lines..) consists of a roll of plastic sheeting which happens to be exactly the right thickness and flexibility and a small tube of black sticky stuff, similar to a mastik 'gun' tube, but designed to be operated by mere fingers...

Chris.

bout £25 each though arnt they?

done mine (all 4 in a passat) with a £2.50 pack of rubble bags and a £4 tube of waterproof adhesive :)

Have you really had success with the RainX stuff? I tried it and it did absolutely nothing!

My windows on the inside were always steamed up/condensating and wouldn't clear with the blowers on. I used the anti fog stuff and they are no where near as bad. I also left the rear which kept fogging up and used some on it the other night and its clear. I personally don't like the rain repellent on the outside as I find that although the water beads off it,it smears the windscreen.