Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Anyone a landrover fan?

been to view this at the weekend, thinking of getting it, split effort with a pal

DSC00354.JPG

DSC00353.JPG

plan is to spend 18-24months rebuilding the thing from the ground up, including the V8, but convert it into a camper. Then will go travelling, the main voyage will be a tour of africa over 12months.

but will do some shorter trips beforehand, shakedowns if you like

Whoa!!!!

If you really want to drive across Africa, don't get a forward contol, especially a V8.

Buy a defender/110, you can get parts for them literally anywhere, you can't get forward control bits in a random African villiage....

Love Forward controls though.

they too small tho aren't they? if they what i'm thinking of.. would be nice to have a box on wheels, the idea is to live in it most of the time.

quite a lot of folk have done africa in a 101 (from looking around the web), we hope to rebuild most of it so that not much can go wrong, although its not avoidable.

its the fuel consumption that worries me :lol:

I reckon a 110 Defender with a 200TDI engine and a roof tent is the safest option...and probably the cheapest. My mate has had a few 101s and I certainly wouldn't want to travel *too* far in one.

they too small tho aren't they? if they what i'm thinking of.. would be nice to have a box on wheels, the idea is to live in it most of the time.

quite a lot of folk have done africa in a 101 (from looking around the web), we hope to rebuild most of it so that not much can go wrong, although its not avoidable.

its the fuel consumption that worries me :lol:

lol. 8mpg sir?

Build a 110 double cab with a van back, i.e. like a csw but with no windows in the back, and a roof tent, as has been mentioned, 200tdis seem good, and the parts are probably finding thier way around Africa. Even if you could garuantee everything wasn't going to break, what if someone rammed you?

I didn't mean to sound quite so negative earlier.

Brill! would love one of these as an alternative camper - until I realised they arent actually very big inside!

Are many parts unique to the 101 fc? I thought they used plenty of normal LR parts?!

My dad has a 1991 200tdi Disco (I know certain LR peeps look down on the disco!!!) sat on his drive looking sad that he has owned since new. Its awaiting him getting over his knee operation then it will be back on the road. I remember as a kid going on the local LR club "play days" in quarries and the like when the car was nearly new, great fun!

If he doesn't put it back on the road then I'll have it when I get a place with a driveway. But my ultimate LR is an s3 109 soft top on parobolics and a 200tdi under the bonnet. Not sure why but i think it would just work! a mate at uni had an ex military s2a 109 softtop, we used to whip the top off and load it with people and mountain boards, great memories!