Sign in to follow this  
Leavon

VR cutting out...

Kev, is the crank sensor and the engine speed sensor the same thing? If so then this could also explain why my car takes a while to start sometimes, the battery is fine and the only other thing I could think of checking was the starter motor. Also whereabouts is the engine speed sensor in the engine bay? The guy at the garage wants to clean it before he orders a new one as the part is so expensive.

They are indeed one and the same thing. It tells the ECU where TDC is and how fast the engine is spinning (rpm).

The crank sensor is on the block to the right of the heat exchanger. Follow the cable on the engine mount with the white plug.

No point cleaning it unless it's caked in swarf. They just tend to lose their resolution over time. If you've got an oscilliscope :? you can monitor the square wave it kicks out, but how many people have scopes in their living rooms? :p When they die completely you get a "G28 - No signal" error in VAG-COM. When dying, you get "G28 - Implausible signal".

Yes it is expensive, £140 last time I got one :x

K

Thanks v.much for the info Kev. I'll pass this on to the mechanic, should be of some help to him. Sounds like I'm probably going to have to add £140 to the £600 I spent last month :cry: hey ho, she's worth it.

Cheers Leavon... I had a gut feeling it wouldnt have been, and wouldnt do it again. (Although that was why i was real gentle with letting the clutch out slowly, and the car did not judder at all). I think next time, best to let it come to a total holt, switch it off, and turn the key in the normal way. Thanx for the advice, well appreciated.

Mine stalls occaisionally. Couple of times per week ish. Thought it was the ISV originally, so i gave this a blast out with some brake cleaner and a bit of WD40. Didn't seem to make much difference though. When starting, the revs shoot up to about 1500 then work their way down to about 680. Also turns over for a couple of seconds before it actually fires too. All related to one fault do you think? :?

Mine stalls occaisionally. Couple of times per week ish. Thought it was the ISV originally, so i gave this a blast out with some brake cleaner and a bit of WD40. Didn't seem to make much difference though. When starting, the revs shoot up to about 1500 then work their way down to about 680. Also turns over for a couple of seconds before it actually fires too. All related to one fault do you think? :?

See my post above about the Throttle position sensor.

Seems to have cured my cutting out problems. Someone else also mentioned replacing relay no 53 on the fuseboard. Give those two a shot.

Kev

I had the crank speed sensor replaced last week and I'm happy to report that all seems to be well and good, I've had no idleing problems and no stalling since so, touch wood, that should be that :)