Sign in to follow this  
zeebrathree

HELP - a couple of problems!

Hi there,

I don't come on here very often, but I really need some help and advice. My 2.0L 16v Corrado is playing up, here are the problems I am ecountering:

1. When the engine is hot and i switch off say to fill up with petrol, when I come to start again it won't! I let it cool for say half an hour and then it's OK - what could this be? Starter motor?

2. I have alot of water inside the drivers side of the car! It's sodden! I know we have had a lot of rain this week, but surely that's not the case. All the areas where leaves can build up are clear, what could be making this happen. Other than standing there with a hose and seeing where water comes in, anyone got any ideas or may have experienced this before - it's starting to smell too :( Not nice!

I would appreciate any advice you may have on these matters - I am at a loose end and very upset that my 'Rado is ill, AGAIN!

Thanks

1. could be cooling fan run on switch is missing from the head near the timing belt cover, then the fuel gets bubbles in it over the hot engine whe the car is parked up, or it could be a more serious problem with the ECU/temp senders and pressure regulator on the metering head.

2. badly fitted replacement windscreen, pull out the outer trim and look around the join between glass and body, unfortunately it's only usually a sustained pouring of water that shows up the problem with small leaks. Might need to get a bead of silicone in there.

Door membranes are a favourite for letting in water too.

I've suffered water coming into the car on my last two Corrado's and by nice coincidence they were both caused by the examples David used.. the first was a badly fitted windscreen and the second was damage to the plastic door membrane, underneath the door cards.

Best way really is to get someone to blast the car with a hose pipe and look carefully where it starts to come in.. windscreen especially as for me it was a tiiny little hole which I never noticed when driving in rain but when parked up and watching carefully I could see it!

Great, thanks for the advise guys - I am taking it to the garage tomorrow and I'll let him know these problem areas. he's restoring a Corrado at the moment anyway, so he should know a few things about them! :D

I had water coming in a while back, it turned out to be the rear hatch gasket had failed where it bolts to the roof. I had wet seatbelt though as the water was tracking down the gubbins behind the panels and dripping onto the belt. Mine was on passenger side though so it may enter the cabin in a different place if the drivers side has let go.