Mystic Rado

Replacing Clifford siren back-up battery pack - pivot bolts?

Have a Clifford Concept something or other fitted to my Storm which has never had effective arming or disarming chirps, though the alarm siren itself works fine if you set it off or hold the panic button down, also revives itself briefly if the main vehicle battery is disconnected.

Did some digging and it seems that what happens is that the remote rechargeable batteries inside the siren die over a few years giving those symptoms. Clifford would like to sell you a new siren for 80 quid or something, but there's a fella on eBay who sells replacement battery packs with instructions for fitting - basically they're six 1/2 AA size cells soldered together and you just open up the siren, take out the old pack and solder / shrink wrap the new one in place and put it all back together.

I'm going to do this at the weekend and take some pics for a how to as it seems to be a common Clifford issue and doesn't seem to be particularly well known - generally people are told to reprogramme the alarm, but that won't work cos it's the batteries in the siren which are at fault.

Anyway, wondering if the two pivot bolts that holds the alarm onto the mounting bracket are removable and if so which way they thread, or if I have to remove the bracket itself from where it's mounted under the scuttle. Anyone done this or have any input. Accessing the pivot bolts that go into the side of the alarm is a hell of a lot easier, but a quick fiddle suggests that they just rotate helplessly without unscrewing. :? Anyone know if that's the case or if maybe they're a reverse thread ?

Thanks but I`ve read you can replace the batteries inside the siren for aroun £15 instead of having to replace the whole unit

My Clifford alarm does chirp when arming and I wish it didn`t.

It`s so loud it annoys me no end,I will have to look into silencing them !!

Back from the dead... anyway, three years [eek, four years...] later. I did sort the battery pack on my siren, but the car's had a quiet existence for the past couple of years and now the siren is 100% dead either way - no chirps, no alarm, which I suspect means the siren itself is dead along with the rechargeable battery pack. As I understand it, the rechargeables in the siren only charge when the car's being driven, so if it's just standing, even with a trickle charger connected, eventually the battery just dies. Which is a nice touch.

Anyway, if anyone wants to replace the battery pack in their Clifford alarm, it's pretty straightforward and takes about 20 minutes or so. You can get the battery packs on eBay - search for 'Clifford Siren' - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/clifford-battery-back-up-siren-515u-replacement-battery-pack-lost-chirps-/261016292778?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item3cc5c88daa

There's a really detailed walk through with images that someone's done at: http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/502106.html

Anyway, hope that's useful for someone. I'm going to see if I can trace the siren fuse for mine, just in case it's that, but I suspect it's new siren time. Will probably just solder join and shrink wrap the wires one by one, but need to have a proper look later.

Hope that's handy for anyone having similar Clifford siren / non-chirping issues.

Oh, and fwiw, you can set the alarm to silence or quieten the arming chirp - details in the alarm user manual.

Edited by Mystic Rado
added an extra year :-/

Great post mate & usefull for some.... BUT before going & buying a battery pack Id be sure to check which kind you have as mine looks nothing like yours!

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

. Which is a nice touch.

Isnt it just?!! :lol: