Sign in to follow this  
daniboy1_2_3

Front components

Hi there can anyone recommend a good set of front component speakers that fit straight into the orginal door and dash mounts. My budget is about 100 - 150. 2 way would suffice as i have a sub in the boot.

I'd recommend a set of JBL C508GTi 's, I ran these in standard pods before I got my Audioscape ones, and now have the C608's (same but with larger bass drivers). The mid-basses go straight in the stock pods, the tweeters go easily in the dash locations (take a hole saw to the original plastic tweeter mounts), they sound great, used to be top of JBL's range and are available for £150 from Car Audio Security's Ebay shop (which is where I originally got mine).

My 2 cents anyway :lol:

Thanks for that, i had a look online a decided to go for a set of Infinity Kappa 50.7CS components, 2 way mid bass and tweeters. im not sure how the tweeters will fit yet but im sure ill get them in somehow. I havent been dissappointed with any off the other infinity speakers i have heard so hopefully these should be nice too.

Thanks for that, i had a look online a decided to go for a set of Infinity Kappa 50.7CS components, 2 way mid bass and tweeters. im not sure how the tweeters will fit yet but im sure ill get them in somehow. I havent been dissappointed with any off the other infinity speakers i have heard so hopefully these should be nice too.

I think thats what i have, but may have been the reference ones. You can get the tweeters to go in the original place by again cutting the plastic base that holds the original tweeters, and squeazing one of the infinity tweater cases in. They come with a variety of different fixings for the tweeters.

like an idiot i got rid of the original tweeters and bases so am now left with just a hole ill either have to make some new mounts or if anyone has any second hand ones?

It's not that hard to make a replacement holder out of a bit of plywood or MDF. Doesn't matter what it looks like really, because it'll be hidden under the grille :)

I'd also thoroughly recommend getting some Skinz/Dynamat/Brown Bread/other stupidly named sound insulation slapped on the inside of the outer door skin. It'll improve the amount of bass you'll get out of the standard door pods.

Im in the north-east near middlesbrough. With the dash covers removed theres just a hole cut into the dash. I cant even remember how the old holders went in, are they just a push fit? Would it be a case of just cutting a piece of MDF and push fitting it into the dash. I saw someone had actually cut into the original tweeter cover and mounted their new tweeter into it which i though looked pretty cool. Looks like it might be tricky stuff to cut though?

The originals are just a 5mm thick disk of plastic that push-fits into the hole in the dash.

If you make a disk out of MDF to fit the hole, you can then put another hole in the middle of it and put the tweeter into it.

Just gotta make sure the grille fits over the top afterwards :)

Or you could just do a lazy, half assed bodge like I did. Just stuff the gaps with socks and newspaper :oops: :lol:

Or you could just do a lazy, half assed bodge like I did. Just [strike:1teovr34]stuff[/strike:1teovr34] fill the gaps with [strike:1teovr34]socks[/strike:1teovr34] microfibre acoustic damping material and [strike:1teovr34]newspaper[/strike:1teovr34] random noise-suppressing fiberous sheet :oops: :lol:

Don't see any problems with that :lol:

Or you could just do a lazy, half assed bodge like I did. Just [strike:3s7kwb4k]stuff[/strike:3s7kwb4k] fill the gaps with [strike:3s7kwb4k]socks[/strike:3s7kwb4k] microfibre acoustic damping material and [strike:3s7kwb4k]newspaper[/strike:3s7kwb4k] random noise-suppressing fiberous sheet :oops: :lol:

Don't see any problems with that :lol:

ROFL :lol: .... Thats exactly what I meant but I thought it was best explained in laymans terms.