Sign in to follow this  
PROVR6

soaking carpets UPDATE!

Alright guys. Currently the car has no MOT so is sat on my drive and has not been driven. My passenger side carpets are absolutely soaking front and back. Ive checked the posts on this and was hoping you could help me rule a couple of things out.

Im hoping its not the heater matrix as I was told it had been done in the past. It blows hot air no problem. The carpets have got much wetter since we have had the heavy rain so would that indicate a different area?

Ive checked the scuttle area and it was full of leaves which I cleared but this hasn't stopped the problem. I didn't silicone the base of the foliage grill though which im going to try.

Ive not checked the door membrane as Id like to do this last as Im not that confident although the door cards don't feel wet.

I can't see any water around the sunroof.

If i put a car cover on presumably the carpets should dry out unless the matrix is leaking?

Any advice appreciated. Mark

Ive just noticed with a torch,that there is a slow but constant dribble coming out from under the plastic cowling that sits under the glovebox. It was raining at the time. Does this sound like the seal round the air intake problem? I don't think its the doors as the angled bit of carpet is dry, only the carpet on the floor is soaking.

Sounds like you are letting water in around the foliage grill..... try silicone first but it may be that the ecu cover is letting water in ?

Have you got water on the bottom of the fan blower motor ?

Hi Jammin. I had loads of leaves around the grill and have removed what I could. I was hampered at the time by the plastic guard which Ive since looked up how to remove. Gonna try the silicone next. Not sure where the ECU cover is yet but I guess its in the vicinity(Only had the car a couple of weeks).

Inside the car, the water is dripping from inside the lowest piece of plastic below the glovebox and cubby hole below glovebox. Is this the fan housing or should I be looking in the engine bay to see any water on the fan blower motor?

The fan blower is located behind the lower glove box tray (the lowest piece of plastic below the glovebox)

The plastic guard thats hampering you is the ECU cover (in the scuttle) under this is the foliage grill and under that is a big hole where your blower sucks in cold air (if you look through the grill you can see the blower motor) maybe the ECU cover has split and is letting water through the foliage grill?

I would silicone it to start with, this will let you know if its leaking from the bottom..... if it still leaks then its coming in through the grill itself.

Thanks Jammin, I getcha now. The Plastic (ECU cover) is all bent out of shape so water could very well be getting down the air intake hole as well as the seal. Im going to put a polythene rubble sack over the area until I get chance to do things properly. I will update the thread and let you guys know if its worked

The ECU cover naturally has a groove running throught it which is designed to channel water toward the drain hole to the right hand side of the foliage tray. Make sure you dont cover the drain hole with the rubble sack so if water does get in it can still get out :)

Oh and good luck !

Glad Im not the only one with this problem, and on the passenger side too.

I came to the conclusion that the door membarane is ok as the carpet by the sill is dry.

Ben (jammin) my air intake has already been siliconed, so Im assuming it could be the plastic scuttle cover not doing its job, do you fancy havng a butchers at it with mne on sunday?

My heater matrix should be ok as the car doesnt mist up (like my jetta was a few weeks back) and the corrado doesnt use any coolant.

Ben (jammin) my air intake has already been siliconed, so Im assuming it could be the plastic scuttle cover not doing its job, do you fancy havng a butchers at it with mne on sunday?

4 Sure Si mate, Ive made a modification to mine to ensure it dont happen anymore.... 8)

I'll have a butchers Sunday mate, good to see you on here..... now you have a Corrado :lol:

Been following this post (and all the others on the subject of soaking carpets) to try and sort out a leak that's got me totally baffled.

Both outside rear corners of both rear carpets are soaking. It's just these corners of the carpet, which are slightly lower than the rest of the floor that are wet. rest of the carpet is dry.

Followed advice and had a look at door membranes. Both were in ok condition and I sealed and patched everything up.

Rear carpets are still getting wet.

Checked sunroof drains and the drains under the windscreen. Nothing blocked. Checked rubber grommets on the bulkhead with everything looking in good condition. Checked tail light seals and door seals which I vaselined - no wear or tear or flat spots evident.

Only thing I've not checked is the foliage cover/blower motor, but front passenger carpet is dry.

So this morning I'm taking out the old newspaper and silica gel sachets which I'm using to soak up the water with when I notice drips of water around the rear ashtray. The ashtray and centre console are removed at the moment for repairs, so the drips are inside the recess for the astray with water also on top of the centre console where the ashtray sits, leading me to believe that the water is coming from above.

Thought it might be the sunroof leaking, but my front seats are bone dry, with no evidence of dampness on the headlining. Soaked the roof with lots of water but could see no evidence of water tracking in.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Right, I tackled the replacement seal on the foliage cover today by following the excellent wiki guide. It is pretty straight forward but I have something in my blower hole thats not shown on the wiki. Whatever it is its been previously disconnected and the wires taped up. Anyone know what it is? Ive attached a pic.

It got dark and I had to put pieces back quickly so not had chance to see if its stopped the water ingress. Job for tommorrow :D

Dsc00786.jpg[/attachment:20gyruv2]

It got dark and I had to put pieces back quickly so not had chance to see if its stopped the water ingress. Job for tommorrow :D

No idea what that could be. Fingers crossed that it stops the leak. Keep us updated.

Thought about doing the foliage cover job this weekend, but too much rain and far too cold.

So I decide to stay inside the car and concentrate on other things that might be the cause my rear carpets constantly getting damp.

Followed this up again as it seems like the most obvious source:

"So this morning I'm taking out the old newspaper and silica gel sachets which I'm using to soak up the water with when I notice drips of water around the rear ashtray. The ashtray and centre console are removed at the moment for repairs, so the drips are inside the recess for the astray with water also on top of the centre console where the ashtray sits, leading me to believe that the water is coming from above."

Decided to remove the entire centre console for a better look. Can see the two handbrake cable silvery/gold metal tubes that sit underneath the rear ashtray. Beneath them is a sort of triangular brownish material that feels like rubber. Removed this and it's absolutely saturated with water.

Underneath this on the metal central tunnel, water is lightly beading down the sides into the rear passenger carpets.

It seems like water is condensing on the handbrake cable tubes. Really strange... Have put some newspaper underneath the tubes and will see how wet it gets during the week.

Hi Dokko. "Beneath them is a sort of triangular brownish material that feels like rubber. Removed this and it's absolutely saturated with water"

Is this not the same as the sound deadening material found underneath the carpets? Mine is wet although I have managed to dry the carpets out considerably with a wet vac, I reckon I need the summer sun to get everything dry. 8)

Is this not the same as the sound deadening material found underneath the carpets?

It's a different material to the sound deadening. Not actually sure why it's there at all. Pulling back the carpets at the rear, the sound deadening in the footwells is soaked. Think I'm going to take all the carpets out seeing as I've got most of the trim off anyway and give everything a good clean while I'm at it. Don't fancy the interior smelling like a wet dog if that sound deadening starts rotting!

Sunday afternoon in daylight i placed some silicone all around my new seal for good measure and waited for the silicone to set and refixed all the trims. Tonight I poured a large jug of water down the windscreen and had a good look under the glove box for any drips. Fingers crossed, it looks like it has worked as there are no drips :D

Hopefully this will stop my carpets getting wet, providing I haven't got 2 (or more) leaks. Weird thing is, the rear passenger carpet seemed wetter than the front where the drip is and its parked on a slight downhill slope :confused4:

Ill update, once it rains real hard (shouldn't have to wait long).

That thing with the wires taped up is the re-circ motor for the aircon it opens and closes a flap, if it's been taped up its probably been removed.

Ok, rained nice and hard today which normally leaves my carpets soaked. They have not got wet so looks like replacing the foliage grill seal has worked. :lol:

HELP,

Same problem, but I have fixed the air intake, and the water is still finding its way into the passengers foot well. I have taken the heater module out, and the glove box bit, pulled all the carpets up and the water seems to be getting in somewhere and trickling down into the foot well next to the transmission tunnel.

Checked the sunroof drains, but not sure how far you are supposed to poke something in.

Exactly where on the tunnel is the water tracking in? This is what I found a few weeks ago...

Decided to remove the entire centre console for a better look. Can see the two handbrake cable silvery/gold metal tubes that sit underneath the rear ashtray. Beneath them is a sort of triangular brownish material that feels like rubber. Removed this and it's absolutely saturated with water.

Underneath this on the metal central tunnel, water is lightly beading down the sides into the rear passenger carpets.

It seems like water is condensing on the handbrake cable tubes. Really strange... Have put some newspaper underneath the tubes and will see how wet it gets during the week.

Not had any rain for a few weeks until today and guess what? Yup, rear passenger carpet is damp. However, the newspaper I placed underneath the handbrake cable tubes is dry, so I think the water has been evaporating previously from the carpet onto them when they were covered with the rubber insulating material/carpet.

The passenger seat is coming out tomorrow and will lift the carpet for closer inspection.

I have water in the front foot well, car is sat on the flat (ish) water seems to be collecting in the front RHS of the foot well. as if it is coming down somewhere in the middle of the dash.

If I cannot find an likely entry point, it must be some cabling in the bulkhead, or the windscreen. either way if nobody has a good suggestion it is out with the dash.... (a job I am not looking forward to.)

It would be OK if id didn't rain so bloody much in Glasgow!

Not looked any further into my wet rear passenger side carpet recently - probably due to the run of sunny, dry weather up here for a change.

Anyway, there was still a small patch of wet carpet appearing after the car had a wash, so this afternoon I removed the front passenger seat for a closer look.

Emptied a few buckets of water over the roof then had a cup of tea.

I *think* I've found where the water is coming from. Noticed that the plastic sill cover was sitting over the door seal which allowed water to trickle over the seal and onto the carpet. Over time I think this water has been building up and moving towards the rear footwell.

Checked the driver's side door sill and the lip of the door seal sits over the plastic sill cover.

Water's not getting through now, but time will tell once it starts raining again...