Sign in to follow this  
randomist

dodgey mot - the law?

i'm after a bit of help as i've just bought a car that has had the sills bodged with fibreglass. basically what happened is the car initially failed on the sills then passed on the re-test having been 'fixed' with fibreglass. as soon as i bought it i took it to my garage & they said it should never had passed. they said to contact vosa but i thought i'd give the mot station a ring first to give him chance to explain. the guys basically said it was touch & go but 'he' would've probably failed it again ( think he was trying to play down the seriousness of the situation) and that he would sort the car by welding patches on the sills. took it back to my garage & they said that although that would do the job they wouldn't be happy as it'll just end up rotting again & they reckon in needs complete new sill to do the job properly. my question is this, am i within my rights to say no to the patching & demand a proper repair or do i have to take the quick fix repair. i don't want to be all arsey with the guy & threaten him with vosa but i'm really not happy with it being patched coz i'll end up having to do the job properly myself at a later date!!!!

please help!!!!!!!

People have been patching welding sills ever since the car was invented. You ain't driving a two year old roller here, so you can't expect everything to be brand new!

Strange - did the MOT station do the fibreglassing? If so then thats very wrong.

If they hadn't done the bodging, just hadn't noticed it was bodged in a retest then personnally I'd let them patch it up and forget about the incident, possibly try to get them to cover the cost of another MOT at a trusted garage. They have hopefully learnt their lesson.

Technically they are in the wrong but many bodged repairs are easily concealed.

Always remember a valid MOT is no indication of the condition of a car!

one garage is advising the best repair and the other a suitable repair.

you can't expect the first garage to do more than a suitable repair unless you want to get into the realms of blackmailing him and reporting the dodgy MOT unless he replaces the full sill

I think you should get the sills repaired properly. I mean apart from anything else it's a safety thing isn't it.

If you're happy driving around with bodged sill repairs then that's up to you but I wouldn't get in it as a passenger. You also have a responsibility to other road users to keep your car in a safe and roadworthy condition don't you?

It's an offence to sell an unroadworthy car.This applies to any seller whether they are a trader or a private seller.

The car you were sold is definately unroadworthy in which case the seller should be reported to the Police and Vosa.

The only legal way a person can sell an unroadworthy vehicle is by stating at the time of sale that the vehicle is sold for "spares or repairs".

Repairing the cills with filler is a definate no no and any reputable MOT tester will fail a car for that.

If you bought the car from a garage i suggest they either repair the car correctly or give you a full refund.

If they won't do either then report them to the Police and Vosa.

The Police will also inform Trading Standards and the garage will face prosecution for a number of offences and could also lose their trading licence.

From what I can tell from the OP:

The car was bought with glassed sills,

Matey's local garage then said this was an MOT fail, and would need either to be metal patched or complete sills replaced,

Matey is asking whether he can take it back to the garage where the glassing was done and get a refund, even though *he* didn't own the car at the time (Correct?)

Please let me know if any of this is inaccurate!

So the question is can Matey get the sills done properly by the old garage, I don't think he is moaning about having the sills done, it's more about the fact that they're glass and not metal.

Make sense now?

From what I can tell from the OP:

The car was bought with glassed sills,

Matey's local garage then said this was an MOT fail, and would need either to be metal patched or complete sills replaced,

Matey is asking whether he can take it back to the garage where the glassing was done and get a refund, even though *he* didn't own the car at the time (Correct?)

Hmm, I think it's:

- Bought car with MOT cert.

- Local garage finds fibreglass.

- Garage that did MOT (2nd time) says "hmm, well .. maybe we should have failed it again" and offers to patch sills with metal to avoid VOSA bad news

- OP wonders whether to accept metal weld patches or to push for getting the whole sills replaced.

Me? I think take the patches. It's common practice and doesn't invalidate the MOT to have patched sills, so can be considered perfectly safe.