Sign in to follow this  
IrishG60

Garage destroyed my bonnet!

I'm feeling pretty low... busted hand few weeks ago... and now this...Left car into garage today for a new alarm system... got a call two hours later to say alarm fitted but there was a problem... Bloody alarm installer was on mobile and tried to slam bonnet without putting holding stick down!!

unbelievable... Left a 50 pence size dint on the outside of the bonnet, it pushes up about an inch and the paint has chipped off entirely... Inside the holder stick is wrecked and the hole where it goes is also wrecked!!

obviously. I went nuts... Anyway they've got a panel and spray department... Brought the panel beater and spray guys in... They say they can fix it inside and out and respray the bonnet entirely so it'll be a perfect match inside and out... They're taking it for three days next week...but what do you guys think... can you respray the bonnet so it matches 100%?. The mechanic tried to alleviate the issue by saying it'll look better as the chip marks on the bonnet will be gone.

Sorry if I'm rambling... But I'd just finally got everything perfect and the new alarm was supposed to be the icing on the cake!!

you can fade the colours in by going over the wings to blend it in,you will never have 100% match...old VS new paint mate.depends on how good the shop is...bad news bud,but was the bonnet covered in stone chips like most raddos? look on the bright side...no more chips :lol:

Just let em take it and sort it. If you're not 100% happy with it, you can tell them so when they return it!

Cheers guys... suppose you're right... have to get over this and start looking at the bright side... ie- maybe it'll be fine and chip free!!!!

Here's hoping... thanks again.

Hmmmm, by all means let them take it and see what they can do to fix it but before it goes I would suggest you take photos of the damage and try to get them to give you a written agreement of the damage they have caused and what they are saying they will do to repair it to at least 100% the condition it was in.

I hope you have recent photos of the car before this.

I've not looked to see if you have a gallery but what colour is the car? Some are easier to match than others.....

And you might want to contact 'coolrado'. He had a very similar experience a few years back but had a full blown hole punched through his bonnet.

Good luck,

Judith

Well it wasn't quite a hole but it was a decent sized outward dent and they ripped the metal underneath when they tried to pull it back up.

As Judith said its the colour thats the problem, all the flat reds and nugget yellow suffer quite badly with oxidisation fading, so if the bonnet is painted it will look great at first, but as soon as the rest of the car fades a bit the bonnet will stick out like a sore thumb, it should be fine on most other colours as they dont tend to fade that noticeably, the other problem is getting foam for the underside if its an early bonnet as its now obsolete, as are the early bonnets, you will also need a new bonnet prop and rubber gromet for the bottom of it, dont let them straighten the old one as it will wont be as strong any more.

Here is the link to my old thread RAC bodge which to be fair to them was sorted out in the end after a lot of hastle.

Thanks Coolrado... colour is Black so I'm hoping it will be fine... sprayer seemed really confident that he can match it as it's in really good nick.

Am off to read your experiences.