Sign in to follow this  
Howard1778

Fitting brake pads

How difficult is it to replace front and rear brake pads? I've managed it on previous cars but want to make sure I can finish the job once I've started it. Any special tools required? Thanks.

Fronts are fairly easy - you will need a g-clamp to push the pistons back...

Rears are a bit more involved as you need to release the handbrake cable and also wind the piston back with a special tool

Tool to rewind the rear piston back in, ended up making one, but easy to adapt grinding disc removal tool, just shape the edges off into more of a vee shape to match the piston lugs, fairly straigtforward!

has anybody got a pic of the special tool to push back piston in the rear caliper. Ive got bently manual but like to see one in the flesh..cheers.

need rear pads changed asap

they sell the tool in halfords for about £20. it's worth buying one, makes it easy.

from memory they sell 2 types for different cars. but none of them list a vw corrado on the back of the card. I ended up opening the tool up in the shop to look at the destruction's to find out which one is for a rado.

might want to buy some copper slip or similar to put on back faces of the pad's that touch the pistons.

definately worth buying. Can also be used on the front calipers too. I didnt realise they were car specific, ive had the same tool for the years, me and my dad have used the exact same tool on various different cars.

definately worth buying. Can also be used on the front calipers too. I didnt realise they were car specific, ive had the same tool for the years, me and my dad have used the exact same tool on various different cars.

As far as could tell... the backing plate looked a slightly different shape, and the pins that insert into the piston where in different spacings.

In the past when i was a tight git :lol: i used the tool for locking the angle grinder wheel in position if you know what i'm talking about ! the Black and decker one is an exact fit for a rado :lol:

I got the lazer tools one from halfords, one of the bits on it flips round and can be used on lots of jap cars