Sign in to follow this  
lee_golf_v5

Buying my first Corrado

Possibly buying a VR6 on Saturday, 1995 M, 106k, all seems to work except the blowers only on setting 4, and the sunroof has power but doesn't work. Hopefully I can try and fix these or at least try??? What are these cars like with this sort of mileage? Will it have lost much of the original 190bhp? I have a 2 hour drive back on the motorway, how are they on these kind of trips.... noisy, smooth?

And as I won't get to push it too much on a test drive really, once warmed up and after 10-15 mins driving when is the power really avaliable, I have a 2.3 V5 150bhp now and it really wakes up at 3500rpm plus and has bucketloads of low town torque....

Also looking into a breakdown service which I don't currently have, thought it would be good practice as I use the car daily for work.

Thanks guys in advance.

Lee

Hi Lee and welcome to the forum. I'd suggest arming yourself with the Corrado Forum Buyers Guide before you go!

Possibly buying a VR6 on Saturday, 1995 M, 106k, all seems to work except the blowers only on setting 4, and the sunroof has power but doesn't work. Hopefully I can try and fix these or at least try??? What are these cars like with this sort of mileage? Will it have lost much of the original 190bhp? I have a 2 hour drive back on the motorway, how are they on these kind of trips.... noisy, smooth?

Blower and sunroof problems are common. Use the search up on the top right to find out more information! Sunroof can be a little time consuming to fix, but the blower one should be easy. Generally the VR rarely loses anything more than a few BHP if any at all provided everything is working as it should. I've driven a friends Golf V5 and can definately promise that the Corrado should feel similar in behaviour to the V5, but with a gruntier soundtrack and more shove. The drive should be fine! The Corrado is surprisingly comfortable though won't really compare to the Golf on longer drives as you might expect. Provided you don't have a boomy exhaust the cabin is quiet and comfortable.

Also looking into a breakdown service which I don't currently have, thought it would be good practice as I use the car daily for work.

Not a bad idea.. though i've personally never been let down by any of my Corrado's! :)

Just thinking about installing a Carbonio on the Rado' ?

I know from the Golf mkiv forums that the V engines do well from them more as opposed to the turbo'd cars, has anyone done it? I would like to achieve closer to 200bhp and then possible look at a remap, or am I being silly, I have no experience with these cars so any advise is appreciated please.

Lee

given the miles it might be doubtful that the car you are buying wil have all its 190 horses still left.........although it all depends on its history etc...........so doubtfull if you'll get 200bhp prior to getting a chip

I'm sure I read on here somewhere that a BMC gives 5-7 bhp increase, rolling road proven.

I had a 3 hour drive on motorways back form picking up my VR and I loved it! You'll be so preoccupied with flooring it at every chance that it will fly by!

given the miles it might be doubtful that the car you are buying wil have all its 190 horses still left.........although it all depends on its history etc...........so doubtfull if you'll get 200bhp prior to getting a chip

well thats rubbish, how many times have we seen at stealth rolling road days when a virtually standard corrado vr6 gets on the rollers and gets well over 200bhp, i think the most for a standard (except stainless exhaust/air filter) was about 212bhp???

karl

well thats rubbish, how many times have we seen at stealth rolling road days when a virtually standard corrado vr6 gets on the rollers and gets well over 200bhp,

Agreed. Provided all the sensors work correctly (MAF, Cam Position Sensor, etc) the VR always seems to deliver consistent power. I don't even recall a VR6 being significantly and inexplicably down on power at any of the rolling road days i've attended or organised! It's not uncommon for G60's to produce unexpected results tho!

You will love your drive back mate. Aswell as my G60, i drive a passat V5 and although i honestly cant knock the passat for comfort and luxury etc...in my opinion theres nothin like gettin into a corrado and havin fun. Im sure the corrado will feel a fair bit quicker, i know mine feels loads quicker than the passat

I also disagree with this....my sisters standard mk3 Golf vr made 183bhp (9 bhp above standard) at stealth last year and that had around 190k on the clock

:shock: 8)

You will love your drive back mate. Aswell as my G60, i drive a passat V5 and although i honestly cant knock the passat for comfort and luxury etc...in my opinion theres nothin like gettin into a corrado and havin fun. Im sure the corrado will feel a fair bit quicker, i know mine feels loads quicker than the passat

I really can't wait, im sure it will be everything that i expect!